network PC and Laptop

iqs 13:26 25 Sep 2007

Hello all,
I would like to establish a connection between my PC and Laptop. To transfer date etc etc
Both have WIN XPSP2

PC is hardwired to a Netgear Router.

Laptop is wireless, connected by Centrino.

PS3 is hardwired,thought I would mention just incase it is relevant.

Can anyone help with the correct procedure for creating a Network please.

Thanks

BurrWalnut 18:47 25 Sep 2007

Firstly, set up a workgroup by right-clicking My Computer > Properties > Computer Name and change the default workgroup name to something a bit more meaningful, also make the computer name recognisable, e.g. MainPC. The computer should reboot. Now identify the folders/files you want to share and right-click them and select share and read/write access. A little hand should appear under those that are shared.

Repeat this on the other PC, use the same workgroup name but, of course, a different computer name.

To see/copy files, go to Start > My Network Places and the computers/folders/files should appear. Using Explorer drag them from one PC to the other.

iqs 20:22 25 Sep 2007

BurrWalnut,and thanks for the help.

Before I follow your instructions,I must ask,is the procedure the same for a hardwired and wireless connection?.Like I said in my thread,the laptop is connected via centrino.

Sorry for asking.Your help is appreciated.
Thank you.
Mike

iqs 21:16 25 Sep 2007

Hi BurrWalnut,

I can view folders on my laptop from my PC ,network places then view workgroup computers.

My laptop has no network places option.Just show all connections.When opened there is no option to view workgroup.
Any ideas?.

iqs 22:01 25 Sep 2007

My Network Places was missing from the Start Menu,it now back.Pc and Laptop are now speaking to each other.Thanks :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?