Network - Partition visibility content changed

compumac 14:15 20 Dec 2010

Three PC’s - Dell, Akoya and Medion. All three are networked and have drives accessible to the others.
Dell has external drive with three partitions Buffalo 1, Buffalo 2 and Buffalo 3
Up until this morning the three partitions Buffalo 1, 2 and 3 could be seen by the other PC’s and their content accessed.
Today - if using Windows Explorer on the Akoya or the Medion and clicking on Buffalo 1 an error message appears “is not accessible”. If I click on Buffalo 2 it displays the ACTUAL PHYSICAL content of Buffalo 1. If I click on Buffalo 2 it displays the ACTUAL PHYSICAL content of Buffalo 3.
On the Dell itself all three Buffalo’s 1, 2 and 3 can be seen and their content read correctly.

Never had a problem remotely like this before – any suggestions?

mgmcc 15:15 20 Dec 2010

Are you actually accessing the Dell PC's "network shares", i.e. double-clicking the PC's own icon to reveal what folders/printers are "shared", or do you have shortcuts (or have "mapped network drives") to access the three partitions on the external drive? If the latter, these may have become corrupted, or their "target" is no longer valid, and you could try setting them up again.

compumac 15:15 20 Dec 2010

Realised that this might have been better posted to Networking forum, but leave it here in the interim, just in case.

compumac 19:16 20 Dec 2010

DJ Ryan
I had installed an extra DVD drive which took the Drive Letter E which had been the Drive letter of the Buffalo 1 and subsequently affected Buffalo 2 and 3. Thanks to DJ Ryan on Network Forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?