Network only one computer wll share files

Dan Electro 22:25 29 Aug 2005

I'm running XP Home on both my laptop and desktop. I used to be able to share files on both machines. Both connect to the internet but my laptop can receive files from my desktop but not the other way around. I have set my firewall up the same way on both machines, and run the network wizard up several times making sure the share files option is enabled. I should mention that when I try to access files on my laptop from my desktop I get a message to contact my system administrator. What have I done wrong?

Taff36 23:04 29 Aug 2005

Do both computers appear in the same workgroup? If not one of them has the wrong workgroup name. In Windows Explorer expand My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network and then select the workgroup.

LastChip 23:07 29 Aug 2005

click here and check my post on this same subject. (4th post)

Newuser4165 12:09 30 Aug 2005

Alternatively you can check out the following :-
Contro Panel ; Add/Remove Programs ; Add/Remove Windows Components.Select Networking Services from the list and click on Details
Ensure the box marked Simple TCP/IP is ticked - if it isn't you will need to have your installation disk available in order to install the TCP/IP component.

I had this problem - as you can see from a previous post of mine.

What I don't understand is why this component isn't installed by default when setting up a network.

Dan Electro 16:44 30 Aug 2005

I hacked the registry on my laptop, changed the DWord to 0 and wahay! it works. So again thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone