Network ok but not quite right

Ray5776 22:53 27 Mar 2006

Hello All, can anyone help on this one.

I have 2 home PC`s networked, one XP Home, one XP Pro
both SP2. They are connected using a crossover cable and work ok with one exception which is probably easy to sort out if you know
but I can`t seem to do it.

The "client" can access the "host" share docs, printer and internet.

The host cannot access the client Machine even though
Hdd enabled as shared. It does not even show in Network places.

Windows firewall disabled on both, Zone Alarm settings appear ok on both.

Ping from host to client comes back ok.

Any suggestions please

Ray

mgmcc 00:12 28 Mar 2006

You don't say which PC is inaccessible but I assume it is XP *PRO*. Normally to access XP Pro, you have to be logged in to the 'client' PC with a Username and Password that matches an Account set up in XP Pro. For more on this, see click here

<<< The host cannot access the client Machine even though Hdd enabled as shared >>>

It is not generally a good idea to share the root of the drive, you should share the folders that you want to have available over the network. The files on "C" drive don't all belong to you, i.e. they don't all belong to the User Account with which you are logged on and this can cause problems if you simply "share" the entire drive.

Strawballs 11:17 28 Mar 2006

Have you tried running the network wizard from the controlpanel on the one that has the problem

Ray5776 13:44 28 Mar 2006

Thanks for your help,
just had to click "View workgroup computers" in "my network places" I would have thought that they would be shown by default. I will follow your advice re C drive mgmcc.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone