Network Novice

mad.babe 21:43 17 Mar 2006

Help!!!!
I've recently purchased a Belkin wireless Router (f5d7630). I am trying to connect up my laptop to the internet and share files from the other PC.
The PC is on Windows 98 and Lappy is XP. I have configured the modem and can explore to my hearts content (ethernet cable only on either PC or Laptop)
The lappy says there is a wireless network connection, however I can't connect to the internet or see the PC in "my net work places"
On the PC, I can't see the lappy either.
I've spent many hours trying to sort this out, and I've come to the conclusion I know nothing about networking.
I guess it must be a firewall / setting issue somewhere, but I can't see it.
Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?
Thanks
Mad

ade.h 22:09 17 Mar 2006

You have not said whether you have run the requisite wizards on each PC; the first to run is the Network Setup Wizard, which must be run on every client, but is best done on any ethernet-connected PCs first. It can be run on wireless clients after you have browsed for your wireless network and established a connection via the WLAN icon in the Notification Area. Encryption should be left disabled at this stage. If after establishing the connection, no internet access is found over the wifi link, then you have missed one or more of three things: 1) The appropriate permissions should be configured in any software firewall. Said firewall should prompt you for a response to the network communication. 2) "Never dial a connection" must be selected in the Connections page of Internet Options in Control Panel. 3) The NSW must be run.

ade.h 22:10 17 Mar 2006

I should add that using a Win 98 PC complicates matter somewhat vis a vis network setup, config and compatability.

mgmcc 22:12 17 Mar 2006

<<< The lappy says there is a wireless network connection, however I can't connect to the internet or see the PC in "my net work places" >>>

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have internet and Local Area Network access.

ade.h 22:33 17 Mar 2006

And the laptop will only "see" the other PC once you have gone through the process of running wizards, sharing folders, placing them in Network Places, and so on...

mad.babe 23:06 17 Mar 2006

Hi again
Just run the NetWork Setup Wizard AGAIN. I still can't connect to the internet wirelessly on the lappy.
'Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have internet and Local Area Network access.'
The Wireless Network Connection Status:
Connected to the router's SSID.
Activity: sent eg 899
Received 5
So I'm assuming I am Connected. Am I wrong?

ade.h 23:08 17 Mar 2006

Please do not send emails to other members unless invited to do so, or when necessary. As it says on the message form: "You should only email another forum user when invited to do so, or when you have an urgent and/or confidential message. Unsolicited mail is spam, and we ask you to respect other members' privacy. Please do not ask for one-to-one advice or help via email"

It's getting late now, so I will be back on the forum tomorrow PM and will give you further advice then. Someone else may well respond in the meantime.

mad.babe 23:10 17 Mar 2006

Do I have to go to Network Neighborhood to 'see' the lappy...if so I can't browes the network. the network is not accessible. Why is this and what do I need to do next?

ade.h 23:16 17 Mar 2006

See my third post; this is done from the task pane of My Network Places in XP. The Win 98 equivalent is Network Neighbourhood, but I cannot know what wizards or config systems it employs because it's 6 years since I last used Win 98.

Folder sharing with 98 should be reasonably strightforward, but is not likely to be as easy as it is with XP; things have moved on a lot since then.

mad.babe 16:42 18 Mar 2006

I have the 'connected to wireless network' symbol on the lappy. Why can't I connect to the internet?

ade.h 16:52 18 Mar 2006

I have already answered that. See my first post. You need to tell your laptop where it should get its interent access from and that is done as outlined above in the NSW.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?