Network key

maynaro 13:43 06 Feb 2008

Hi Guys, I currently have sky broadband wireless on my laptop. The laptop kept dying and the screen went totally blank, so I bought a new laptop.

After an hour of hunting around the house looking for the netwrok key, to connect, I ended up making things worse by changing wireless settings etc, in an attempt to reset the network key. (I have no idea why i did this,was a good idea at the time lol).

I found the network key (on the bottom of the router, I shoulda known:)but cannot connect as I dont even get the chance to enter the key as it says sky broadband settings dont match the laptop.

Im having to use the big yellow lead from the router to connect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated;)

MAJ 13:51 06 Feb 2008

Connect to the router's configuration page and reset to factory defaults.

maynaro 13:54 06 Feb 2008

Ok thanks I'll try it, where do I find that though :)???

MAJ 14:02 06 Feb 2008

Assuming it's a Netgear router that Sky sent you, type 192.168.0.1 into your browser's address bar and press the Return key on your keyboard. You will be asked to input a username and password, the default username is "admin" and the default password is "sky" (both without the quote marks), then click OK. That will bring up the router's config page. Look in there for a "Restore to factory settings" option.

maynaro 16:39 06 Feb 2008

thanks for that. It is a netgear router. I got in using "admin" and "sky" but couldnt see factory settings anywhere??

Technotiger 16:48 06 Feb 2008

I believe the small reset button on the back of the router resets to factory settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017