Network Issue

cthooli 00:19 02 Mar 2006

Is it possible and easy to network an apple mac with a windows pc? simply to share internet connection. any help appreciated! cheers

Forum Editor 00:25 02 Mar 2006

where it really belongs.

cthooli 00:31 02 Mar 2006

whoops sorry, been a while since i've been on! didnt see the new forum! thanks

cthooli 21:52 02 Mar 2006

any help at all?

mgmcc 09:14 03 Mar 2006

You haven't said which computer has the internet connection. If it is the Windows PC, connect the two computers by ethernet cable (I believe Macs have auto-sensing ports, so you don't need a "crossover" cable), enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (modem connection) in Windows and the Mac should have internet access.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The Mac's ethernet adapter should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the “host”. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

cthooli 13:35 07 Mar 2006

thanks for the help. what about if the mac has the net connection. can i plug in my wireless network adapter into the mac and then connect my laptop to that (wireless obviously) and share the net?

johnuk4 20:40 07 Mar 2006

Hi,
Iv got a home network with 5 wired computers. Im using an internet connection with a voyager 205 router. The router then goes into a switch which allocates the computers. Currently the routers configuration is on DHCP, so are all the computers connected. Fairly often i get the problem that an ip conflict has occured in the network, this tends to limited people from connecting to the network and internet as you would expect. Even if they restart their computers they still have a conflicting ip. The only thing i can think of is that the router is allocating people the same ip where it has a large enough dhcp pool to allocated unique addresses. Would anybody have any ideas as to why i have this problem?

Thanks any help would be much appreciated

johnuk4

mgmcc 20:49 07 Mar 2006

I have a "Mac Mini", I don't have a Wireless Network Adapter for it and my Belkin USB WiFi adapter doesn't work with it. However, I have just tried "Internet Sharing" on a Dialup connection with the Mac's ethernet adapter connected directly to a Windows laptop and that worked OK.

This is with Mac OS X 10.4.5 - In the "Sharing" section of "System Preferences", I selected the Internet tab, set the "Share your connection from" to Internal Modem and "To computers using:" to Built-in Ethernet. I clicked the "Start" button.

Screenshot 1 - click here

I then booted the Windows laptop, which gets its IP address by DHCP, and checked its IP address. The address was 192.168.2.2 with the Default Gateway as 192.168.2.1 (I have no idea why the 192.168.2.x subnet should have been used).

Back in the Mac, I opened "Network" in "System Preferences", set Ethernet to use "DHCP with manual address" and entered the address 192.168.2.1

Screenshot 2 - click here

I then dialled up to the Internet and the Windows "Client" PC was able to open a web page.

Obviously, you have to change the Dialup connection that I used to your particular Internet Connection and, presumably, configure your WiFi adapter as the connection to the Windows PC.

mgmcc 21:13 07 Mar 2006

It would have been better to have started a new thread, because this one relates specifically to "Internet Connection Sharing" with an Apple Mac and a Windows PC.

I suspect that the source of your problem is that the router allocates IP addresses from within its DHCP pool on a "first come, first served basis". This means that a particular PC could be allocated, for example, an IP address ending in .02

However, if you boot another PC which previously had the address ending in .02 and it hasn't "released" that address, you will get the IP conflict. One solution might be to allocate fixed IP addresses outwith the router's DHCP pool, or disable the router's DHCP server so that it doesn't try to allocate addresses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017