Network IP addresses

Jamesonjoyce 07:59 14 May 2009

My work has a network with about 16 pc's on it and one server. Majority of the pc's experience a problem of accessing failes and programs on the server at around 4pm. The way to get around it is to log off and log on at say 3pm, then it will sail past 4pm with no problem.

I have never understood why, but then again i am not that experienced with networks.

Any ideas why this could happen.

I have recently found out that our broadband router is what hands out the IP addresses to the pc's, dhcp. It is just a bulk standard router. Surely this is what the server should be doing??? Would the fact that the router is handing out the IP addresses be the cause of my problem, and if the network was set so the the server performed this task, would the problem be solved.

Presumably, it would be a better set up if the server was doing the above. Could anyone list the reasons why it would be best for the server to do this.

Many thanks in advance

mgmcc 08:34 14 May 2009

In one of the computers that is regularly affected, open a Command Prompt window ("Start -> Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

IPCONFIG /ALL

...and press Enter. Look for the time that the "Lease Expires". If it is expiring around 4pm on the current day, that may be the problem. The Lease should normally be renewed automatically by the DHCP server (Router) long before it reaches its expiry time, but this may not be happening correctly. If this is the case, the solution would be to increase the Lease time in the router's settings to something like a week.

You could, of course, give all of the computers in the network fixed IP addresses.

Jamesonjoyce 09:33 14 May 2009

I have had a look at when the lease expires. It looks as though it is set to expire 3 days after the lease is obtained. Being that our problem occurs daily, it doesnt look like that is the problem.

brundle 17:30 14 May 2009

If the server is a domain controller then it should be your DHCP server too - DNS and Active Directory all tie in with it closely, a small range of addresses is reserved for remote access (whether you use it or not) and also if changes are made to the configuration of your network or server/client configuration the server manages the DHCP side itself rather than someone having to manually keep track of such things.

Do the machines actually lose IP addresses themselves when things go wrong? Can you still ping the server? Can the server ping any or all the clients?

T0SH 19:36 14 May 2009

Would it not be easier just to right click on the connection icon down by the clock and select Repair from the options list this will release and renew your allocated lan IP address

Cheers HC

T0SH 19:56 14 May 2009

Would it not be easier just to right click on the connection icon down by the clock and select Repair from the options list this will release and renew your allocated lan IP address

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?