Network invisible to wireless PC

emmybee 23:05 04 Dec 2006

I have a BT Home Hub, 2 PCs connected to it by Ethernet cable and a laptop connected wirelessly.
I can access the internet on all three computers, but the network (set up three years ago on Ethernet and modem router) is invisible to the wireless laptop. This only happened when I installed the Home Hub. I can't access my printer, either, which is connected to one of the hard-wired PCs. I could see everything from the laptop on Ethernet, but not on wireless. Wireless network setup Wizard did nothing. Is it possible that a hybrid Ethernet/Wireless network cannot work? If I connected my printer to the USB socket on the Home Hub, would it work on all three PCs?

Ashrich 23:17 04 Dec 2006

You don't need to run the Wireless Network wizard just the network one , make sure they are all using the same network name . You need to tell Windows to use the wireless adapter to access the network not ethernet , then it should find it .

Ashley

emmybee 23:33 04 Dec 2006

Already tried that with no effect.

mgmcc 08:36 05 Dec 2006

Does the laptop access the network when connected to the Hub by ethernet cable? It shouldn't make any difference whether you are connecting by cable or "wirelessly" because WiFi just emulates an ethernet connection over a radio link. You should be able to swap between the two without a problem and without any configuration changes.

Can the laptop 'ping' the other computers, either by name or by IP address? If not, have you configured all firewalls correctly, bearing in mind that the laptop may have different IP addresses depending whether the "wired" or the "wireless" adapter is being used.

emmybee 16:07 05 Dec 2006

Thanks, mgmcc! I'd forgotten about the firewalls. All is now working OK. The solution was so obvious I couldn't see it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?