network interface card

daf501 13:29 18 May 2006

Hi there, i have another problem now. after advice from a few of you i was able to reinstall windows on my pc (thank you)
But now i cannot get my pc to speak to my modem, i phoned aol, but they said my problem was to do with my "network interface card drivers", can anyone throw some light on this for me?

Diodorus Siculus 13:56 18 May 2006

Are you on dial up or broadband?

Give some details of your hardware and software please.

What sort of modem do you have?

daf501 14:20 18 May 2006

I am trying to access aol broadband, via speedtouch 576 modem router.

Diodorus Siculus 14:34 18 May 2006

Do you have any driver CDs that came with the PC?

It is possible that the network card does not have the correct drivers installed.

Right click on my computer.

Choose properties, hardware, then device manager and see if there is anything there that has a yellow exclamation mark beside it.

Do you know what sort of network card you have?

rodriguez 15:42 18 May 2006

If you don't have a CD with the drivers on you can try DriverGuide (click here) and download them. You sign up for a free account and you can get pretty much any driver you need. The Thomson Speedtouch drivers should also be on there.

daf501 18:00 18 May 2006

Hi, i don't know what make of network card i have. Would i need to open the pc case to find out?

rodriguez 18:52 18 May 2006

Try going on Control Panel, System, Hardware then Device Manager. Click on the + sign next to Network Adapters and the make of the card should be there. If not double click on the network adapter that comes up and the properties box will come up. The make of it will be next to where it says Manufacturer.

Diodorus Siculus 19:14 18 May 2006

click here SIW will tell you what card you have installed.

Diodorus Siculus 19:15 18 May 2006

Opening up the case and looking will be a good idea if you don't mind doing it. You may find that the interface is now part of the motherboard if you have a fairly modern pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?