Network Help

AznInvasion 05:22 26 Jul 2006

I accidentally put this in the Helproom...

I've been having trouble getting a network running properly so as to allow the connecting computer to access the internet as well as files on to this computer.

My specs

This Computer
Windows XP
Connects to the internet
has a Billion BIPAC-5100w connected via LAN

Other Computer
Windows XP
Has a netgear wireless dongle

I've managed to be able to get a pretty strong signal, 'This Computer' can access the files on the other computer and I think both computers can ping each other (or atleast 'This Computer' can ping the 'Other Computer' but the 'Other Computer' might only be able to ping the modem. I'm not entirely sure).

Yes internet connection sharing is on and I've run netsetup countless times.

Both desktops are running XP Pro.

New development...after disabling Norton Antivirus Etc. both managed to ping each other, (to the IP addresses of the actual connections)-I'm sure of this.

Now when I try to access "This Computer" from the "Other Computer" it says I need to contact network administrator for rights or whatnot.

This is frustrating.

FelixTCat 07:32 26 Jul 2006

First, make sure that both pcs are set up with the same workgroup name but different computer names.

Secondly, make sure that the router has DHCP enabled and that both pcs are set up to receive an IP address automatically.

Thirdly, disable the firewalls on both pcs (don't worry, the router will protect them in the short time you will be like this).

Fourthly, make sure that file and printer sharing is enabled on both pcs AND THAT AT LEAST ONE DIRECTORY ON EACH IS SET TO SHARE.

You should now be able to ping each computer from the other, log into the router and see the other computer in My Network Places. You should also have internet access from both pcs.

If so, reset the firewalls and make sure that you allow the firewalls to access IP addresses in the range of your network addresses, eg, if the IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1 ensure that the range 192.168.1.1.to 192.168.1.3 is allowed on the firewalls.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Felix

AznInvasion 02:25 29 Jul 2006

No luck yet. When I try to access "this computer" from the "other computer" the error message says "\\192.168.1.100 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

When "This computer" accesses the "Other Computer" there is no problem.

AznInvasion 03:41 29 Jul 2006

A new development...

after mucking around with gpedit.msc, where befor it said "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer" it now says "Access Denied".

This is either a huge step forward, or I've stuffed something up.

FelixTCat 06:43 29 Jul 2006

Do you have to log on to each computer with a name and password? If so, you have to set up an account on each computer for the other's log-in.

Regards,

Felix

AznInvasion 22:56 29 Jul 2006

Righto, further playing around with registry etc. ...:P

Access is now to both computers, accessing each computer's files without any problems.

The only thing left now is...internet connection sharing.... "other computer" still can't internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?