Network Help

AznInvasion 06:38 25 Jul 2006

First of all may I start by mentioning that I don't know alot about networking.

I've been having trouble getting a network running properly so as to allow the connecting computer to access the internet as well as files on to this computer.

My specs

This Computer
Windows XP
Connects to the internet
has a Billion BIPAC-5100w connected via LAN

Other Computer
Windows XP
Has a netgear wireless dongle

I've managed to be able to get a pretty strong signal, 'This Computer' can access the files on the other computer and I think both computers can ping each other (or atleast 'This Computer' can ping the 'Other Computer' but the 'Other Computer' might only be able to ping the modem. I'm not entirely sure).

I'm frustrated as I've been plagued by one-way connectivity quite alot and don't seem to remember how I've solved them...if at all.

Any help would be absolutely appreciated.

mgmcc 08:38 25 Jul 2006

Have you enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" in the PC that connects to the internet?

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "private network connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Wireless Network Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

Strawballs 09:36 25 Jul 2006

Have you tried running the network wizard in control panel (not wireless wizard) on the second machine.

AznInvasion 12:27 25 Jul 2006

Yes it's internet connection sharing is on and no i havn't run network set up wizard but I didn't think you needed to for wireless networks...and plus one side works already so...?

kdt 13:49 25 Jul 2006

have a look at KB914440 on microsoft site which may be helpful

Curio 14:40 25 Jul 2006

Noted

ade.h 16:11 25 Jul 2006

For future reference, there is a Networking section. Not enough people make use of it click here I only found your thread because I wandered over to the Helproom.

You don't state whether either client has XP Pro or Home (just XP) and it is not clear whether you run an ad-hoc or routed network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017