network help

Viv-208691 15:16 31 Mar 2004

Hi there, im having a bit of a problem with my wireless network. I have 3 computers that get access to aol bb via a linksys modemrouter-no problem there. however, i now want to be able to use the printer of one of my pcs from my wireless laptop. i went to the 'set up a home network' wizard on all of my xp xomputers and selcted that i connected to internet through residential gateway on each computer. However when i finished doing this i couldnt see the other computers on any of the computers, any ideas why this may be?? All 3 computers (2 pcs, 1 laptop) are running xp (the latter is running professional)

Please please help me.

Kind regards, Vsz

The Spires 15:21 31 Mar 2004

Have you set the printer to 'Shared' in printer properties?

Viv-208691 15:38 31 Mar 2004

yeh, but i dont seem to have any kind of actual network. this has to be established before i can share the printer but for some reason its just not happening!!

Any more ideas??

Thankyou

vinnyo123 16:52 31 Mar 2004

Is these sevices installed in network properties?

-File and printer sharing
-Client for Microsoft Networks

Also you have to setup a Workgroup and give each machine a unique name.

Type workgroup in xp's help section

To join a workgroup

Open System in Control Panel.
On the Network Identification tab, click Properties.
Under Member of, click Workgroup, type the name of the workgroup that you want to join, and then click OK.
If your computer was a member of a domain before you joined the workgroup, it will be disjoined from the domain and your computer account will be disabled.

Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator to the local computer to join the computer to a workgroup.
To open a Control Panel item, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.
A workgroup name must not be the same as the computer name. A workgroup name can have as many as 15 characters, but it cannot contain any of the following: ; : " < > * + = \ | ? ,
If your computer is a member of a workgroup, no networking is installed, or TCP/IP is not installed, the computer name cannot be more than 15 characters, and the characters must all be uppercase.