network external hard drive

Garthyy 11:37 08 Dec 2007

i'm thinking of getting an external hard drive to plug into my network. The western digital weII ( click here )is looking good but will it work with my netgear router DG834n

MCE2K5 18:50 08 Dec 2007

Can't see why it won't work.

I've just ordered This, click here
, Not as large (GB's) as the one your after, and it is slightly more £'s as well.

Garthyy 18:15 09 Dec 2007

Why did you choose that one?

interzone55 19:21 09 Dec 2007

Before you by the Western Digital WEII think what you will be doing with it, then have a read of this click here

Yes, Western Digital have decided that only pirates want to share music across a network, so they've made it impossible to share the following files, AAC, MP3, AVI, DivX, WMV, and Quicktime, across a network with this drive.

Nice. Go for the Buffalo

MCE2K5 19:22 09 Dec 2007

Not to Fond of WD Drives, Had two gon down in 2 1/2 years.

MCE2K5 19:23 09 Dec 2007

p.s. White don't suite my PC, It's Black & Silver.

MCE2K5 19:30 09 Dec 2007

Thank's for that.

Iv'e also got the WD My Book Premium 500 GB, Si I guess in about 18 Months I will be looking for a replacement (Not W/D).

I suppose I will have to Polish my Wooden leg and find my spare Eye Patch, A Ha Jim Lad.

Garthyy 18:03 11 Dec 2007

Thanks guys - thats put me off WD. I hear the buffalo isnt vista proof yet. What about this one click here I expect to use it as a hard drive that can be accessed by 2 comps on a LAN.

MCE2K5 01:22 25 Dec 2007

I've got my Buffalo Linkstation Live 500GB NAS,
According to Buffalo, On the Box it says Windows Vista Compatible.

It works a treat, Easy to setup, Has a built in Printer Server (USB2), You can attach a USB2 Hard Disk to it as Extra Storage, And the Memeo Auto-Backup Software is simplicity in it's self, Once it's Setup, It just backs-up the files on it's own, in it's own time.

Garthyy 18:06 01 Jan 2008

MCE2K5
I got the lacie 500 home edition and that backs up automatically as well. I've had no problems with setup and it is very quiet too.
i hope you get all you want from yours.

MAJ 18:41 01 Jan 2008

I like the look of that Linkstation, MCE2K5, well worth the money if thats what you need.

Having said that, for anyone that doesn't want to go to that expense, an ordinary bog-standard external drive should be easy enough to share on a wireless network. The only drawback is that the PC it is connected to needs to be turned on for the drive to be accessed by the other PCs on the network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017