Network + External Hard Drive

jennisuk 22:51 25 Jan 2007

Hey, weve got a small network set up at home, 2 pcs connecting through a switch, running through a BT home hub thing, weve bought a Western Digital My book external hard drive and was wondering if its possible to hook it up to the hub or the switch so its possible for us to store all our junk on there and be able to access it from either pc.

At the minute its set up to run on one of the pcs, but it means that that pc has to be on for the other to access it, which is insanely annoying

Thanks, jennisuk

De Marcus™ 23:07 25 Jan 2007

Unfortunately it's not possible with the WD MyBook because it's only connections are firewire and USB 2.0, this basically means it has to be attached to a pc to work, if however the MyBook had a network connection you could do what you wanted, but it doesn't and the ones that do are more expensive, but not for long (IMO).

jennisuk 23:11 25 Jan 2007

Yea i thought this might be the case, someone said something to me about a network storage adapter or something that plugs into the switch, but i dunno :S thanks for the help though

cheers, jennisuk

mgmcc 08:58 26 Jan 2007

<<< At the minute its set up to run on one of the pcs, but it means that that pc has to be on for the other to access it, which is insanely annoying >>>

You can always just plug it into whichever PC you are using - it doesn't need to be connected permanently to a particular PC and "shared" over the network.

BigMoFoT 09:11 26 Jan 2007

Granted which ever PC it is connected to and shared from will need to be powered on.

NAS (Networked Attached STorage) isn't that expensive at the moment;

click here

supersneak 13:56 26 Jan 2007

I believe the new Apple Airport Extreme will allow a USB External HD to be shared on a network. It will also act a a print server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?