network Diagnostic report?

zeppman 00:19 19 Sep 2008

I have done a network Diagnostic report.Can someone explain in plain english what the problem is and how I can fix it.
Thanks in advance.

zeppman 00:22 19 Sep 2008

I am using XP pro and IE8.I have a cable connection.

zeppman 00:25 19 Sep 2008

Last diagnostic run time: 09/19/08 00:00:35 WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info Error attmpting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2
error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed.
info Redirecting user to support call

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=IC Plus IP1000 Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to click here: A connection with the server could not be established
info HTTP: Successfully connected to click here.
warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to click here: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to click here: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

brundle 00:27 19 Sep 2008

"Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed."

Reset Winsock; click here

zeppman 00:54 19 Sep 2008

Have tried WinsockXpfix twice but I am still getting a message on certain sites Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

birdface 07:20 19 Sep 2008

Right click local area connection and press repair.See if it shows any problems.

mgmcc 07:51 19 Sep 2008

Try resetting the winsock manually. Open a Command Prompt window and, at the prompt, type...

netsh winsock reset catalog

...and press Enter. Exit from the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC.

zeppman 23:42 19 Sep 2008

I have reset winsock manually and scanned pc and found a backdoor ? spyware which I have removed also I have ran sfc /scannow to check If there was any files missing .So far so good.

zeppman 20:25 20 Sep 2008

Thanks for everyones help I will leave this open as I'm not sure If everthing is right yet.

zeppman 22:17 22 Sep 2008

the problem seems to be back and it is Yahoo mail that Is taking an age to open
click here

Is this the correct address for yahoo to open .what could make this site so slow to open.Is there any scan I can use .I have used Spysweeper and Nod32 all clear.I am using cable .I have reset winsock.

brundle 22:19 22 Sep 2008

Uninstall IE8 then run DialAFix click here

Put IE8 back afterwards (DialAFix was designed in the days of IE6 and XP SP2, might damage an IE8 installation, especially a beta)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie