Network components in different locations

Tim.S 12:11 25 Jun 2014

Hello, despite being relatively new to computer networking, I've managed to set up 5e ethernet throughout my home and I have a Netgear 16 port switch to which all my ethernet plug cables connect... Connected to the switch is my router - but it is not housed in the same physical location due to the switch being in a small room where the router wireless signal cannot send signals throughout (the room has a lot of metal beams etc running through it). So, with the switch up and running and my router attached, I was looking at buying some NAS to attach to the network. Does it matter where the NAS 'taps into' my network? i.e, should it plug into the switch or can I plug it into the router? I ask because it would be better off being located near the router, so it's out of the way but I wasn't sure how hardware would work if it wasn't running through the switch - obviously it won't be under control of the switch and may have consequences I don't realise! Any help much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?