Network cards sending but not receiving

GavinM 18:23 06 May 2005

Hi,

My original PC with a Realtek (8139c) network card has had no trouble connecting to the internet through my broadband connection. I have since brought a second PC but could not establish an internet connection through the onboard Ethernet port but could connect fine if I placed my old card in the PC.

So I purchased a new network card (Realtek 8139D) but was unable to connect to the internet with this card on either PC (the connection status only showed packets being sent and none received). Thinking it may have been a faulty network card I picked up another Realtek 8139D based card from a different manufactorer which still would not connect on either PC.

I have since also tried a USB ethernet connector which will still not work and a Compaq network card. I have reformated both PCs, tried Windows 2000 and XP, changed cables and PCI slots but still the card status is showing as only sending not receiving if I use any network card other then the original.

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks,

Gavin

Newuser4165 09:45 07 May 2005

You don't say which type of broadband modem you are using - cable,ADSL but you will still need the modem to recognise the network card.The modem is only seeing the MAC address of the old network card.
The easiest way to get things working is to switch off all devices including the modem.Leave the modem switched off for around 10 minutes and then switch it on.Now switch on the new pc.The modem and pc should now be able to talk to each other

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?