Network card/adaptor problems

m800afc 22:40 14 Jun 2008

Following a suggestion by forum member Chub_Tor, this thread has been moved over from Helproom.

Win XP Pro, SP2,
ASRock 775VM800

I am unable to connect to the internet on my Desktop. My laptop connects perfectly, both wired and wireless.
The chap at O2 checked everything remotely and said it was probably my network card, and I should contact my computer manufacturer. How can I check, myself, to verify that the card is/is not working?

The PC is connected by ethernet cable to the router, which was supplied by O2. The router, which has no model number, is labled "O2 Wireless Box". I have tried changing the ethernet cable, and have tried all the router ethernet sockets in turn. The O2 chap tried a remote repair, which included pinging Google (timed out four times), updating firmware and reinstalling software from The supplied O2 disc. I have also disconnected the router from the mains, and left it for 30 minutes before trying again. All of the LEDs on the router are working correctly, and I can use the laptop wirelessly and with the ethernet cable which is normally connected to the PC. I have tried renewing the Desktop IP address, to no avail. The network card is listed as a VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter, which, according to the device manager, is "Working Properly". The device location is "PCI bus 0, device 18, function 0". I am guessing, but does PCI bus 0 mean it is on the MOBO and not actually a PCI card? If so, what is to be done?
The ethernet socket is grouped with the other motherboard sockets, so I assume it is on the MOBO. The yellow triangle is on the Local Area Connections icon in the Network Connection Folder.

Strawballs 00:58 15 Jun 2008

I assume you have checked that it is set to connect to internet via lan in the internet options in control panel? If so you could try fitting a PCI network card click here You don't have to buy online but you should be able to get one for under £10 in your local PC shop.

ambra4 13:39 15 Jun 2008

Check the lan card and network setting is correct

Web Browser Settings

Internet Explorer 4.0 or Higher

Start IE web browser. Select-Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab

In the “Connection” screen, there are three selections:

“Never dial a connection”,

“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”

“Always dial my default connection”.

If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.

If you cannot make a selection, select “LAN Settings”

Untick marks next to any of the displayed Options:

“Automatically detect settings”,

“Use automatic configuration script”

“Use a proxy server”.

Click “OK”. Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page.

Network Adapter Setup on all Computers

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)

Click-Start-Settings-Network Connection

Double-click on the “Network Connection”

Left-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your network adapter

Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.

In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked

At bottom of display tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected

A display Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup

Click-Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Click the “Properties” button

Select “Obtain an IP address automatically

Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically”

Click- Advanced-Click-WINS Tab-Tick-Enable LMHOSTS Lookup if untick

Do Not Change Any Other Setting

Click “OK”.

Your computer network card is now configured for use with the Modem/Router

Other Lan Card Setting

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Click- Flow Control-Change to Enabled if Disabled

Click-Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Network Connection Setting

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

If still not working go into device manager right click on the network card uninstall, reboot and reinstall driver

m800afc 13:10 16 Jun 2008

On Saturday night I turned of the power to the router and disconnected the power supply. I also removed all other cables. I left the router for about 12 hours.
The following day I reinstalled the software on the O2 broadband disc. I followed the instructions to the letter, and broadband was enabled first try.
Eventually I managed to get the desktop and laptop established on a network.
Now all seems to be workin well. I do not know, however, what caused the problem in the first place.

ambra4 17:35 16 Jun 2008

One never know what cause there strange problems it could be a phone line problem, a router software problem, a electrical glitch, a exchange problem, etc the main thing is that it working again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017