Network Card to Wireless

Neil-175883 16:52 05 Nov 2005

Can anybody help

I would like to kmow whether i can convert a PCI NIC which has a RJ45 socket to wireless ie adding the wireless antena etc or have i got to purchase a wireless card

The reson why i ask is that all my pc's already have on board Network Cards and i would like to use these if possible

I await response

mgmcc 17:13 05 Nov 2005

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to access the "non-Wireless" PC directly from the Wireless ones, this can be achieved by plugging a Wireless Access Point into the RJ45 ethernet port.

However, if you already have a Wireless Router (which will incorporate a Wireless Access Point), that is going to create more problems than it solves!

In any case, Wireless Access Points are expensive and plugging in a USB WiFi Adapter would be a much less expensive solution.

Batch 17:14 05 Nov 2005

You'll either need to buy a PCI wireless card, or get a USB wireless device (saves opening the box and can be readily moved to other boxes).

One good reason that you can't convert PCI NIC to wireless is that the RJ45 doesn't carry a power supply (unlike USB), so anything plugged into this would need a separate power supply. There are also technical ethernet reasons as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?