network card question

rosie12 15:59 09 Jan 2006

Hi, I am about to get broadband and I want a wireless connection. BT have told me that I need to have a wireless card already in my comp. how can I find out if I have one installed. I have looked in device manager, and listed there under "network adapters" is Intel PRO?100 VE Network connection. Does this mean I have a network card installed?

PaulB2005 16:04 09 Jan 2006

Looks like it but look for a port like click here on the back of the PC. Note the symbol and that it is bigger than a modem port.

DieSse 16:06 09 Jan 2006

*Does this mean I have a network card installed?*

Yes - but that's the facility for a wired connection.

Wireless adapters come on several forms - plug-in cards, and USB adapters - and for laptops plug-in PCCards.

Do you have a laptop or a desktop? - and are you sure you want/need a wired connection or a wireless one?

Mr Mistoffelees 16:13 09 Jan 2006

If it is convenient for you to use a wired connection, then do. It will be much easier to setup.

rosie12 16:17 09 Jan 2006

Hi, I have a desktop computer and I just thought that it would be more convenient to go wireless so that the computer doesn't always have to be next to the phone socket. I am also going to buy a laptop that I can use upstairs etc. and share the broadband connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017