Network card and Norton Ghost

kp 16:41 29 Jun 2003

Running WinXP Home, AthlonXP 1900, USB cable modem.
I have recently installed a Belkin PCI network card (Realtek) which installed without problems at the same time as a clean install of XP (card inserted just before XP install). However, because of messing up my system with a failed wireless router install (another story) I decided to do a total reinstall using my Norton Ghost discs. The ghost install went without a hitch. The network card was recognised after install as new hardware but the drivers refused to load. Tried pointing the driver update wizard at the WinXP CD (I know they are there somewhere) but they were not found. Any suggestions other than doing a fresh install (loading software piecemeal rather than using my ghost discs)? The network card comes with a driver disk but these are for Win98/2000/NT etc.

try downloading an xp driver for your network card and see ifit will install that.

kp 17:29 29 Jun 2003

The manufacturers website (Realtek) doesn't offer an XP driver because the driver is included in Win XP. Thanks anyway.

kp

jazzypop 18:33 29 Jun 2003

Go to the Belkin download site - click here - they have XP drivers for their PCI network card

kp 20:57 29 Jun 2003

jazzypop - When you click on the download link on this page it just offers a .pdf manual download and states that the XP drivers will install automatically when the card is inserted.
Cheers. kp

Steven135 21:26 29 Jun 2003

If you are going to have to do a complete re-install then you could give the windows 2000 drivers a spin nothing to lose.

jazzypop 22:19 29 Jun 2003

My apologies - you are quite right of course,I had not clicked through far enough to not the .pdf download.

An alternative approach - Right-click My Computer, select Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Network Adaptors. Double-click the network adaptor and click the Driver tab, then Update Driver. Choose to 'Install from a list or specific location', and then Next, then 'Don't search, I will choose the driver to install', Next.

You will be presented with a list of possible drivers to use - if the Belkin /Realtek drivers are not listed, untick the 'show compatible hardware' box. Select the correct driver, click next and OK to complete the Wizard.

In case there is no network adaptor listed when you open Device Manager, pressing F5 should force it to re-check all hardware and list your Belkin card. Make sure that you do not apply the above procedure to a '1394 Net Adaptor' - that is a Firewire port :)

kp 21:14 02 Jul 2003

Jazzypop - thanks for your post. Unfortunately I have only just read it. In the meantime I went out and bought a USB ethernet adaptor and changed my Actiontec router to a Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL router. After reconfiguring my modem from USB to ethernet this router set up without a hitch and works perfectly. In part, this is down to the excellent software and documentation that comes with the router and on this count, I can highly recommend it. It still amazes me that major hardware and software manufacturers such as Actiontec cannot produce quality installation software and manuals. Many are still poorly translated as well - the cost of rectifying this I am sure is only a tiny fraction of total development costs. Never mind. Rant over.

Cheers.

kp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?