NETWORK CARD INSTALLATION

normskiii 19:18 11 Oct 2003

please can anyone advise why my computer will not recognise that i have installed a d-link 220 network card..........i keep getting error message 'device not present or not working. but i've a few spare cards and they all give same problem...extremely irritaating to .........andy..

LastChip 21:00 11 Oct 2003

?

hugh-265156 21:07 11 Oct 2003

as above and might be worth entering the bios and set up defaults maybe.

normskiii 09:23 12 Oct 2003

sorry about delay but had another problem with different computer.........to follow.
I've tried network card using both win95 and win98-1 OS with same problem - can't find the device. these are quite 'old' comps mid90's and will not recognise plug and play device. i'm wondering about the BIOS but can't work out what to change. ......thanks for comments....andy

zydec 10:17 12 Oct 2003

bios is a tricky thing if you are not sure what to change, changing the incorrect thing could cause huge problems, I would suggest that you make sure your machines meet the spec of the card.

I.E Your pc have 2.1 compliant PCI slots.
Maybe contact the manufacturere of the computer/motherboad you may need to updgrade the bios to improve PCI plugy and play, however talking to them will ensure you get the right information.

LastChip 12:23 12 Oct 2003

If you open the BIOS, the first (index) page should have something like;

PnP Configurations

Open that page, and make sure

PNP OS intalled = Yes

This means that your operating system is controlling the hardware settings. If you already have this set, and it is causing your problems, you can set it as

PNP OS installed = No

In this case, the BIOS will control the hardware, and may resolve your difficulty.

If all else fails, you can also force the BIOS to accept manual settings of that particular slot, but you need to do some more research to find out the acceptable IRQ(s) the device supports.

You are dealing with old equipment, and particularly with Win95, the Pnp facility was no where near as good as with later systems. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are dealing with an ISA slot device. By today's standards, primitive technology!

normskiii 16:14 12 Oct 2003

yep...this is an ISA device and thanks for your comments. although an old box i hate being defeated and i'll give the BIOS one last kick.!

normskiii 20:30 15 Oct 2003

thanks-all sorted. D-Link corp very helpful with advice, setting IRQ's etc and although 'primitive technology agreed (none PnP) but still does the business at very low cost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?