Network Card faulty ?

NeilatBexley 18:12 09 Apr 2004

I have XP and a Netgear DG814 Route/Modem.
The PC cannot connect to network, (IE cannot find anything) but if I disconect my cable from the router and plug in a laptop, it works fine. PC states a network connecection is made. However cannot ping the router. Is my network card faulty, and if so how do I tell?

Diodorus Siculus 18:26 09 Apr 2004

Easiest way to tell is to try another one - unlikely that two will be malfunctioning.

AndySD 18:31 09 Apr 2004

What is the make/model of the network card?

AndySD 18:33 09 Apr 2004

D'oh I am slow today its a crossover cable if it works between the pc an laptop and you need a \straight through (patch) cable for the router.

NeilatBexley 18:41 09 Apr 2004

Hi both
Maybe I confused you.
I don't have a crossover cable
If I disconnect the cable running from the router to the PC and connect it to a laptop, then the connection works. Hence its not the router or cable, but either software or hardware inside the PC.
One more thing I should have said. Normally when a network connection is established, aone of four numbers lights up permenantly on the router. However with this fault, the number flashes at v. high speed constantly
The name/make of the network crad- dunno - can I tell through control panel?
I would retest another card if I had one right now - but good idea!

AndySD 18:47 09 Apr 2004

"If I disconnect the cable running from the router to the PC and connect it to a laptop, then the connection works." ??? are you positive its not a crossover?

click here is a small free program that will tell you your pc spec's

NeilatBexley 19:00 09 Apr 2004

No it not a crossover.
My PC is wired to the router with a cable, but no network connection is established.
I unplug the cable from the network card at the PC, and then plug in the cable (still attached to the router) to the laptop. Now I get a network connection on the laptop.

AndySD 20:23 09 Apr 2004

Can you go Start then Accessories then Command Prompt type in

ipconfig

hit return and tell us what it says.

NeilatBexley 00:24 24 Apr 2004

I bought another network card, and everything works fine
I guess the old one was faulty
Thanks for all the ideas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires