Network cannot see printer

s99Raj 20:37 22 Feb 2004

I have a Belkin kit which consists of a cable, two Ethernet cards, software on CD and a manual.

I have connected two computers (say, computer A which has XP home on it and through which broadband Internet comes, and computer B which has Windows ME on it) with the cable connected via the ethernet cards. Computer B can now share the Interner connection and see the hard drive and othe folders on Computer A, but I cannot figure out how to get Computer B see the printer which is attached to Compute A. I've tried "Adding Printer" and said that it is on a network etc. but B still cannot see the printer. I have gone to Computer A and set the printer on it to "sharing" so it has a hand icon under it. I can easily print from Computer A but not from Computer B.

Is there something "special" I must do? The box the kit came in says that it is for sharing computers and printers and Internet connections.

Chegs ® 20:47 22 Feb 2004

I had troubles with this before (XP Home on A and 98se on B)I had to arrange the driver for the printer,but the exact details have faded with passage of time(the puter B now runs XP Pro too)All I remember was the printer conection had \\HP Deskje in its setup. :-)

LastChip 20:49 22 Feb 2004

On the ME machine, open up Windows Explorer and look under "My Network Places; Entire Network" and see if you can see your printer.

If you can, double click on it, and let us know the result. (any message you get).

Post back please.

johnem 20:56 22 Feb 2004

On the ME machine, you may have to have printer drivers specific to ME as the XP drivers might not work. In the printer "properties" check to see what connections are displayed for the printer, if ME has set it by default to LPT1, then you will need to select a different connection, via the network.
When you click on "Network Neighborhood" on the ME desktop, can you see not only the files on the XP machine but also the printer icon, if you can, right click on this icon and select add printer. This should then automatically set up the correct path. You could set this path manually if required. Hope this helps.

s99Raj 20:57 22 Feb 2004

Thanks for this LastChip. The two computers are at my friends house; he knows nothing about computers and I'll be going over there tomorrow with some ideas, so I'll let you know.

However, when I tried it last week I think I did go into My Network Places/ Entire Network but didn't see the printer, even though it was connected to Computer A (because I could print from it) but I could see the hard drive, for example.

s99Raj 21:01 22 Feb 2004

Thanks Johnem; I'll try adding the drivers to the ME machine. I also hadn't thought of checking LPT1 setting.
In "Network Neighborhood" on the ME machine I cannot see the printer icon, only the files such as the hard drive.
I'll try your suggestions tomorrow.

silliw 21:02 22 Feb 2004

Had this problem last night. When you trying to add the printer I did not look for a network printer as it is attached locally to the host ( your computer A) . Have a look again at the add a printer wizard as I think it tells you to add a local printer if it is attached via a host.

s99Raj 21:06 22 Feb 2004

Thanks Silliw; I'll try that too.
Any suggestion is worth trying. Pity the manual that comes with the kit is relatively useless - it always assumes the "ideal" setup.

LastChip 21:22 22 Feb 2004

try this too.

If you cannot see the printer (as above) on the ME machine; First; Check it has been set to share; Second; Any Firewall on XP (for the moment) is turned OFF.

As a starting point, you MUST be able to see the printer in My Network Places from the ME machine. If you can't get that far, then drivers and the like will not make any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?