Network cable unplugged on XP?!

Charence 14:39 22 Dec 2008

Hi all,

Yesterday, on XP, my wired LAN connection was working, but in the evening it suddenly stopped working, showing that "network cable is unplugged". I don't recall doing anything to the computer...

I have tried:
Swapping ethernet cable
Restarting computer
Disable/Enable network card
Reinstall driver
System restore to a date when it was working
Booted into Linux on the SAME system, and LAN connection works!
Wired/Wireless connection works on all other computers (inc. on XP)
Resetting the router to factory settings

Can't really think of anything else to try, except maybe reinstall Windows(?!) which I would like to avoid doing.

Currently running a virus scan, but that'll take a while to finish.

Network Card: Broadcom 440x (integrated to motherboard)
Router: Thompson ST585

Any ideas?

Thanks!

C

PO79 14:50 22 Dec 2008

You seem to have covered all the bases. Only thing I can think of is to disconnect the router from the mains and leave for about 30 minutes or so.

DieSse 14:53 22 Dec 2008

Are you absolutely sure this is the Ethernet cable it's talking about, and not a 1394 connection (which is FireWire) suddenly showing up?

Bazz2000 14:53 22 Dec 2008

In my honest opinion mate I think its a firewall problem on xp itself. Do you have a third party firewall installed on the xp partition?
As it works on Linux we can rule out a hardware problem.

Charence 00:29 23 Dec 2008

Nope, I already have firewire and that works fine. It is my ethernet/wired lan because I am also having troubles connecting to the internet from that computer when using XP.

I tried to disable my firewall, Windows Firewall has been disabled since a long time ago and I disabled Kerio firewall which I was using.. no difference sadly.

I'll have a go at letting the router rest, but the router does work for all other computers at home and I even did a reset on the router.

Also, earlier virus check (using AVG) on computer indicates no issues there.

Thanks!

C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?