"network cable unplugged" message

johnedlord 14:45 29 Aug 2009

I have a Samsung NC10 hard wired to a Edimax router. I get a "network cable unplugged" message, sometimes every few seconds, if I configure the Fast Internet Controller to run at 100mbs full duplex. If I use a setting of 10mbs, again at full duplex, the problem disappears. I am with Virgin Media Broadband and the router is wired to the modem they provided. My broadband speed is a nominal 10mbs. If I run a Speed Check, at the lower setting my download speed is approx half that of the higher setting.

I am a newbie to networking. Any help would be useful. I have checked all the cables and connections, which are new. Many thanks in anticipation of any members help

ambra4 17:32 29 Aug 2009

“I get a "network cable unplugged" message, sometimes every few seconds, if I configure the Fast Internet Controller to run at 100mbs full duplex”

What is the model # of the Edimax router

Check these settings on the lan card

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status – General - Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure – Click - Advanced Tab

Click - Connection Type - Change to “Auto- Negotiation”

Click- Flow Control - Change to “Hardware Default (Auto)”

Click - Power Management Tab

Un-Tick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

johnedlord 18:52 29 Aug 2009

Thank you for you prompt and clear explanation. To eliminate the router as a possible cause, I should perhaps have mentioned that I wired to router direct to the Virgin modem, and the problem still remained. The default setting was Auto Negotiation. This was why I tried other settings after googling "network cable unplugged" and reading a Microsoft web page. The other setting you mentioned do not help. Could the Virgin modem have a intermittent fault? I have also downloaded new drivers for the Fast Internet Controller, but nothing seems to help. I am considering uninstalling the controller and then reinstalling it, but I am a little wary of this. This message seems a very common problem.

johnedlord 19:39 29 Aug 2009

Please forgive the mistake. I should have said that I wired the PC direcly to the Virgin Modem, to eliminate the router as a possible cause. The modem, by the way is about 6 years old and the model is number 250. Again, any help would be much appreciated.

ambra4 21:31 29 Aug 2009

Power everything off, including the Cable Modem, which must be left without power for three or four minutes

This is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Power on the Cable Modem when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate an IP address to it.

If the ethernet connection still drops than you should get the modem replace

johnedlord 23:58 29 Aug 2009

I have tried the procedure you advised, but no luck I'm afraid. Still getting the " network cable unplugged" message, except when I configure at 10mbs.

I will get in touch with Virgin Media and get them to test the modem.

Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017