network cable or ethernet

  Maryp 11:26 13 Dec 2008

I want to connect my pc to virgin broadband using an ethernet connection and when I looked on the back of my dell pc theres a socket that fits the ethernet cable but is called a local area network connector, which according to Wikipedia, should be the same. Is it? I tried it but it didn't work, is there any way it would work or are they actualy completely different things?

  bremner 11:32 13 Dec 2008

They are the same - do you have a crossover cable instead of a patch cable?. Cross over cables are normally marked as such either with the word crossover or xover.

  Maryp 11:48 13 Dec 2008

no, I had to hunt in the back of the cupboard because I knew I had another blue cable, but they both say Patch cable UTP, and one says NET-X, the other Evernew

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:00 13 Dec 2008

Look in device manger for Error signs against the ethernet adaptors.

How do you connect at the moment? wireless? USB modem? cable modem?

  Maryp 13:21 13 Dec 2008

Thanks Fruit Bat, thats got it sorted. Not sure its any faster though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?