Network Cable disconnected

Mike D 14:46 09 Feb 2005

Sory to be so long-winded...

...A friend has a laptop which is connected wirelessly via a Buffalo Airstation router to a Telewest broadband modem. This works flawlessly. Not so the desktop, which has an onboard NIC and is wired to the router via a Cat 5 cable. When the desktop tries to connect to the intenet, "Page cannot be found", and delving deeper into the Telewest diagnostics we get "Local Area Network cable is disconnected" (or words to that effect). I have swapped cables to one that I know works, to no avail. Time (the pC manufacturer) is saying that a system reload, from their restore CD, will sort this out. They are also telling me that the IPS should sort this out and that the error message is nothing to do with the pc hardware. Buffalo are saying that the router is OK (and I don't disagree).

The PC went back to Time for a replacement DVD drive and was connecting via the same network prior to the repair, but whether this has any bearing on the matter... Device Manager shows the Network adaptor as a 1394 # 11 LAN adaptor, Buffalo says that this is Firewire not an NIC, but I think he is wrong, because my own pc show my NIC as a 1394 device, so maybe that's a red herring.

Any thought and suggestions would be appreciated, becasue the men in white coats will be coming soon if I don't sort this out.

Mike

Mike D 15:14 09 Feb 2005

Sorry, should be Time are saying that the ISP need to sort this out.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie