Network Blues

  Rick_X 14:45 17 Apr 2003

I have just got a second PC with an integrated Ethernet adapter (an NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking adapter). To this I bought a cheap 10/100 Ethernet card for my old PC and a Belkin FastCat 5e Networking Ethernet cable (RJ45 male/male) in order to connect the two up. The new PC is running XP Home and the older one XP Pro. My problem is that both PC's state that one of the cables is unplugged and I seem to be having no luck getting them both to talk. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks

  Infamous 14:51 17 Apr 2003

Have u got the correct cable as you require a crossover when connecting just 2 pc's directly!

  Rick_X 15:01 17 Apr 2003

Apologies for my ignorance but what's a crossover? I'm totally new to all this and was told by the network manager at work that all I needed was a Cat 5 cable and a pair of ethernet cards.

  RobbyMac 15:06 17 Apr 2003

Crossover means just that, the cables cross over so that the connections are reversed on the two ends.

  Infamous 15:08 17 Apr 2003

Crossover cable is needed when u directly connect 2 pc's. Just the wires in there are in a diffrent order. Basicly u you can pick these up from pc world etc etc.

  RobbyMac 15:10 17 Apr 2003

U could have a look here click here

you can check the cable with a multimeter, or a simple bulb circuit tester.
Good luck

  MartinT-B 15:15 17 Apr 2003

Try and avoid PC world if you can. it's a rip-off.

click here for Maplin. Type Crossover cable into their search engine and the have 9 products suitable ranging between £5.49 and £19.99

They are also on most High Streets.

  Paranoid Android 15:50 17 Apr 2003

click here


5 mtr CAT5 RJ45 crossover cable £ 1.94 incl vat

Total including postage & vat £ 4.28


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?