Network basics using ISDN connection

griffo 11:12 24 Aug 2003

I am sure I'm being very thick, but having read so many threads on this subject I still don't know Exactly what I should buy. Have a P11 266Mhz desktop (W98 - but can install SE)which connects via a USB cable to BT Highway. Have an upstairs P4 1.3Ghz PC (W98SE) plus my laptop (XP Pro - but this is configured to work on my office LAN).
We cannot ever get Broadband 'cos we're too far away from exchange - so stuck with ISDN.
Want to cable network, mainly for Internet, don't want downstairs PC to have to be on for upstairs/laptop to connect to internet.
I know I need 2 x PC LAN card (built-into laptop)plus RJ45 cable. BUT - what Router/Switch/Hub do I buy. These different names confuse me and everything written seems to refer to ADSL/Broadband and doesn't mention ISDN.
Sorry to be thick but please put me absolutely straight and out of my misery(and everyone else's!).

you will need an Isdn router, prices for which start very high and keep rising (£128,£210,320,430 to give you the first four prices at Dabs) so you might want to reconsider using the 'downstairs' pc as the gateway. in which case lok out for a NIC with 'Wake on LAN'(if the motherboard supports it) so the system can at least be hibernating

griffo 08:21 25 Aug 2003

thanks - have looked in Power Management Setup and can see "Power on by Modem" which is disabled. Can't see anything called "Wake on LAN".
So is that option closed? If not what Hub/Switch/whatever would I use? As the price for cable router is so high, does this bring wireless into a similar price range and therefore viable?

Appreciate your help

jazzypop 08:50 25 Aug 2003

These people will sell you a perfectly good ISDN router, at a similar price to a decent ADSL router - see click here

Once the router is in place, you simply connect each PC to the router using a length of standard CAT5 Ethernet cable with an RJ45 plug on each end.

See the diagram at click here - look at the section marked 'Ethernet Router & Local Area Network' and substitute ISDN router for ADSL router. Also ignore the reference to microfilters in the diagram.

Once you have a router that works with the correct 'flavour' of Internet access (ISDN in your case), the setup of the internal network, or LAN, is the same whether you are using ADSL, ISDN or Cable.

griffo 11:29 25 Aug 2003

Cheers, I have looked at these, also D-Link DI-304 seems similar price but has 4 10/100 ports rather than 1, is that better? I guess this is my best overall solution as we can't get ADSL here. Any particular NIC's you'd recommend for the 2 desktops?
thanks again for help

jazzypop 11:45 25 Aug 2003

My preference is for the Netgear range of NICs, although to be fair, nowadays any 'branded' NIC will work without fuss.

Of the two routers from Solwise, the 850 is a much better deal - yes, you should go for 4 LAN ports.

As the D-Link seems to have reduced in price lately, that is also a good deal, although it does not have the network printer facility (which I personally find extremely useful on my FR114P router).

griffo 12:25 25 Aug 2003

I get the impression (probably wrong) that the port speeds on the Solwise are only 10 not 10/100 is that right? Re printers, we have an inkjet connected to one PC and a laser to the other, can't we just arrange printer sharing on the LAN?

jazzypop 12:45 25 Aug 2003

I just downloaded the user manuals for you. Strangely, the 'higher spec' 850 has 10Mb/s ports, whereas the 'lower spec 800 has 100/10 ports.

You won't notice any difference in browsing speeds between a 100 or 10Mb/s port, as this is much faster than your Internet connection. It will be significant if you frequently transfer files between PCs.

Printer sharing on a LAN relies on the PC that the printer is connected to being switched on. If the PC is switched off, the printer is not accessible.

A major advantage of a router is that each PC can access the Internet independently - this advantage is significantly reduced if other PCs have to be switched on in order to print.

A printer connected to a printserver on the router will always be available. For me, that is a very worthwhile addition - your mileage may vary.

griffo 15:47 25 Aug 2003

thanks again, will consider the points you make.
cheers

griffo 16:14 31 Aug 2003

started to establish route for cables and have run into obstacles - really can't afford time to overcome (also can't be bothered!), so will have to go wireless after all!! Similar question though - I know I need a router if I'm not going to use an ISDN modem and also want each PC to be able to access internet. Which type of wireless router do I go for, they all seem to be for Broadband not ISDN?

jazzypop 16:51 31 Aug 2003

The only ISDN+Wireless router that I know of in the UK is the Draytek Vigor 2200WPlus - see click here

The alternative is to ditch your existing ISDN modem for one with an Ethernet (not USB) feed - you can take your pick from a much wider range of routers then (including the faster 802.11g, instead of the Draytek 802.11b standard, and the ability to choose a rouetr with a built-in print server).

Note that the 802.11g is only of benefit when transferring files within your LAN, as both standards are already faster than your ISDN connection.

Decision, decisions :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie