Network Attached Storage

Gary Wood 19:09 11 Nov 2006

I'm looking to get a Network Attached Storage device and wonder if anyone can answer the following questions:

1) I want to be able to access files over the internet when away from home, but this needs to be secure. Do any devices provide secure access?

2) Would I be better to buy a device which doens't offer remote access directly and then set up a VPN to access things remotely? If so, what hardware do I need to create the VPN?

3) Any specific recommendations for good NAS devices? I ideally want one I can put my own IDE HDDs in to make the solution upgradable.

Thanks,

Gary

Forum Editor 10:54 12 Nov 2006

on your requirements it's difficult to advise you properly. If you are talking about a home network situation you probably don't want to spend the considerable sums that might be involved if you go for a secure VPN gateway solution.

A better way might be something like this:

click here

Gary Wood 12:09 12 Nov 2006

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that it is a home network.

My computer is currently set up to allow remote desktop connection through Windows, so I can currently access files that way. However, I was hoping that by having network attached storage, I wouldn't need to leave my desktop machine on all the time.

Many NAS devices seem to provide FTP functionality, but I'm not sure that this is a very secure way to transmit files across the internet.

For this reason, I wonder if I need to upgrade my broadband router to one which supports VPN connections. That way, I would be able to establish a VPN connection and then use FTP or SMB file transfer within that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Gary

fitshase 21:00 12 Nov 2006

I use a Buffalo Linkstation. It has a built in FTP server and a USB print server. Also expandable via a USB2 HDD.

Not a bad system at all.

Gary Wood 21:08 12 Nov 2006

fitshase,

I have looked at the Buffalo range and they look pretty good. However, as far as I could see, they don't support SFTP, so files and login details are sent unencrypted across the internet. Can you confirm this?

Gary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?