network addresses not assigned

StephenRogers 14:14 15 Sep 2006

I've got a PC and a laptop, both running XP, connected together with an ethernet cable

On running the network connection wizard, I end up with the problem:
"Limited or no connectivity... ...because the network did not assign a network address to the computer"
on both the PC and the laptop

I'm also a bit confused, as my PC has 2 local area connections (the other one simply says that a cable is unplugged, I'm guessing i can ignore it)

what do I do to get them talking to each other?

cheers

ade.h 14:19 15 Sep 2006

Two LACs? Delete one.

No need to run the NSW anyway.

Run ipconfig /all from a cmd prompt and see what you get. If it has found the default gateway IP, then that's a start. Disable the DHCP server, then disable the DCHP Client service on each and every client and assign IPs, starting with 1 octet up from the gateway IP.

StephenRogers 14:38 15 Sep 2006

Network connections doesn't give me the option of deleting (it's greyed) LAC 2, though I could uninstall it from the device manager

cmd prompt? - do I access that from 'RUN'? (I've tried this - get a black box of text which disappears in less than half a second)

StephenRogers 14:39 15 Sep 2006

Network connections doesn't give me the option of deleting (it's greyed) LAC 2, though I could uninstall it from the device manager

cmd prompt? - do I access that from 'RUN'? (I've tried this - get a black box of text which disappears in less than half a second)

ade.h 14:46 15 Sep 2006

Run SFC (sfc /scannow) to fix the cmd.exe bug.

Only one of your LACs should have its "delete" option greyed out, and that should be the original entry. If both are greyed out, then they are not duplicates. This is the kind of mess that people always create when they run the NSW more than once and start duplicating things.

Remove the Ethernet adapter, reboot, run the PC without it by blocking the New Hardware wizard when it runs (make sure that you do NOT opt out of running the wizard again for that hardware), then reboot again and let the device install as normal.

Then don't go running any more wizards!

nanouk 15:56 15 Sep 2006

stephen... I get into my CMD Prompt from Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt. HTH...nanouk

ade.h 16:04 15 Sep 2006

Run > cmd or command is the quicker and most common method.

StephenRogers 15:22 16 Sep 2006

so, on the PC, which I want to use as host - found the command prompt ran ipconfi /all and got:

Ethernet adapter LAC

Ethernet adapter LAC2

and the PPP broadband adapter

The broadband has an IP address, the other 2 have (different) physical addresses, but no IP addresses (they also both show 'media disconnected - is this because I don't at this moment have the ethernet cable connected to the computer?)

both connections have delete greyed out - I guess this means that there are 2 distinct ethernet adapters?

'remove the ethernet adapter' - I guess this means opening the box and physically removing it? I am nervous of doing this if i can avoid it.

So do I need to disable the DHCP server, then disable the DCHP Client service on each and every client and assign IPs, starting with 1 octet up from the gateway IP? and if so - how do I go about this?

cheers

StephenRogers 15:25 16 Sep 2006

I couldn't find this in the ipcongig /all box

ade.h 15:32 16 Sep 2006

Yes, the unique physical addresses show that there are two adapters in there. Why, I don't know. "Media disconnected" means no cables, as you thought. Don't be nervous about a simple job like removing a bit of hardware. If you would like to lose one adapter, follow this:

1) Enter Device Manager. Select the hardware to be removed and uninstall it via the toolbar button.

2) Power down the PC and move the tower into a comfortable location. Leave the mains cord plugged in but switch off the PSU and/or the wall socket.

3) Open the case panel and touch the case to earth your self. Using a preferably non-magnetic screwdriver, remove the retention screw in the PCI backplate.

4) Lift out the device carefully, keeping it parallel. It may be firm. Put a blank plate in its place if you wish.

5) Close the case, switch on the PSU/wall socket and power up.

However, I would rather disable the unwanted adapter via its context menu or via its entry in Device Manager.

StephenRogers 10:55 17 Sep 2006

Thanks for that

So Ive disabled the second (spare) ethernet adapter, and uninstalled the one I want to use.

when I rebooted, the system automatically re-installed the uninstalled one. I don't know how to block the new hardware wizard - is it important that i do that?

Will having unistalled the adapters got rid of the settings from the network wizard? do i need to do something about that? Is there a way I can just clear those settings then run the wizard again?

What do I do next?

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?