network address

daisy2bell 10:12 23 Apr 2006

Hi
I did a scan just now, and apart from finding my own ssid, it found another network. It names it and also says it has no security and 23% signal.
Is this something to worry about
Thanks

Aargh 10:53 23 Apr 2006

No, its one of your neighbours on wifi.

dms05 12:57 23 Apr 2006

If you can see yor neighbours WiFi then he can probably also see yours. I hope you have encrypted your WiFi to stop unauthorised access.

daisy2bell 14:48 23 Apr 2006

Yes I've got wep enabled

ade.h 15:55 23 Apr 2006

While your neighbour's network is open (assuming that it is on pretty much all the time) it will be the first target for any wardriver, so your WEP will usually be a sufficient deterrent.

However, if that other network gets secured, then you will become at least an equal target. If this other network is switched off, you will be the only target.

In this case, your WEP will not be sufficient as it is so easy to break. WPA-PSK then becomes essential, in addition to the usual common precautions of a unique and/or hidden SSID and MAC filtering.

daisy2bell 19:58 23 Apr 2006

Thanks. I'll play around with WPA-PSKI assume the WPA-PSK password will have to be the same on the main PC and laptop?

ade.h 20:44 23 Apr 2006

It has to be the same on all wireless clients, so if your desktop is wireless as well, then yes. It doesn't apply to wired clients.

daisy2bell 21:31 23 Apr 2006

Thanks for that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?