Network adapter stopped working

william16 14:25 17 Feb 2008

Hi

I have a network adapter installed on my laptop-this is identified on the system as 1394 Net Adapter #4. Untill recently it has been working properly; as soon as I boot the laptop a strobe light is activated and it would automatically detect the router. For some reason, the strobe light no longer works and it would not connect to the internet. When I check status in Network Connections, this shows "Connected" When I check the status in Device Manager section, it shows that the device is in working order !!

Any ideas what happened?

Response is most appreciated.

With thanks
William

Ashrich 14:42 17 Feb 2008

1394 Net adapter #4 is actually a firewire connection on the PC , for download movies from Camcorders etc. , not really for internet/network access , although they get listed as in theory they can act as a high speed network if 2 of them are properly connected .

What you should be looking for is either your wireless card , and/or the network adapter that is usually built in to the motherboard .

Ashley

william16 19:48 17 Feb 2008

Hi Ashley

Many thanks for your prompt response and comments noted. I went through device manager again; I cannot find any ref to a wireless card. How do I locate the network adaptor that is built on the motherboard? Do you think that this has recently stopped working?

Thanks & regards
William

Ashrich 00:36 18 Feb 2008

Is the wireless card switched on ? There is usually a combination of key presses to turn it on ( fn + whatever ) or it may have had the drivers corrupted , can you connect through ethernet cable ?

To see what you have in Device Manager , expand " Network Adapters " and see what is listed , it would be strange if nothing was there .....

Ashley

william16 20:32 18 Feb 2008

Hi
I can connect through ethernet cable alright. When I expand Network adapters, it shows the ethernet socket as well as 1394 Net Adpater #4-referred to above !!

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?