Network Adapter Error- Virgin

antyp 03:04 16 Jan 2008

Hi - Am trying to install virgin broadband via ethernet, but keeps coming up with Network Adapter error.
Virgin help files says I need to link the adaper to tcpip and suggests I right click/properties and select the tcp/ip - but this is already selected.

Virgin install disk just wont go beyond this as it seems to think the adapter isnt linked to TCP/IP

Any suggestions? I have tried uninstalling the driver and also disabling and re enabling the adapter
When I link the enthernet cable to the cable modem, it tries to connect and get an IP address etc, but just ends up showing as unconnected.
Help!

birdface 10:29 16 Jan 2008

If using Ethernet it should connect automatically. Just switch of the modem for a minute when connected.Then switch it back on and leave for 2 minutes see if that makes the connection.That all that I had to do with my Grandaughters new laptop.

antyp 21:30 16 Jan 2008

its not an issue with the cable modem, as at this point in the installation, it isnt connected yet - and I have connected my laptop to the cable modem without any problem to get online to do this!

During the installation from the Virgin CD - it says that the adapter isnt "bound" to the TCP/IP and suggests right clicking the adapter icon, properties, and then selecting the TCP/IP option - but this is ALREADY selected - which suggests that there is another issue somewhere else, registry perhaps? Is there a way to completely reset the Windows XP networking defaults?

I have also disabled the onboard LAN via the bios and installed a new network card into an internal slot, but the same errors come up, which again suggest to me that its a Windows XP issue (maybe registry or a corrupt file somewhere)

Any ideas anyone?

birdface 23:08 16 Jan 2008

So far I am not following what you mean.If connecting with Ethernet cable you don't need to use the virgin installation CD.

antyp 23:47 16 Jan 2008

are you saying that if i just plug my pc into the cable modem, it will automatically be able to access the broadband?
A

antyp 23:50 16 Jan 2008

i just tried updating the cards drivers - didnt make nay difference though

birdface 08:29 17 Jan 2008

Grandaughter got a new laptop at Xmas.All we had to do was connect the Ethernet cable from the Modem to her Laptop.Switch the laptop on.Then switch the Modem off for a minute and switch it back on.it connected automatically.No installation Disc was required. This also was using Virgin.

birdface 09:37 17 Jan 2008
  martjc 09:50 17 Jan 2008

...try re-enabling onboard LAN. Then reboot the modem, wait two minutes and then try to connect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?