Network access in one direction

steadman7 11:25 02 Feb 2010

I have two PCs, both running XP Pro, Zone Alarm, Explorer8, AVG 8.5. They connect to the Internet via a TalkTalk supplied Router, model DSL-2640R.

PC A connects via a cable and/or wirelessly, PC B connects via a cable.

Both access the web fine either individually or together.

When they are both on line, printer and file sharing works fine from A to B but not vice versa. It is as if PC B is on the web but not part of the Network. I cannot see PC A from PC B, or if I can see it (via Workgroups) it is ‘not accessible’/Network path not found etc. I have set the necessary permission in Zone Alarm on each PC.

I don’t know whether the client vs host distinction applies here, but certainly I have not treated the PCs differently from each other. My understanding is that they each access the web through the router, not via each other.

I have done a repair installation on each PC but I still have this Network problem.

This is my first attempt at networking two PCs which I thought was straightforward, but I’ve obviously got something wrong somewhere, so would be glad of any advise.

Thank you

howard64 17:25 02 Feb 2010

check that windows firewall is off on both pcs.

steadman7 18:11 02 Feb 2010

Thank you Howard,

Yes Windows firwall is OFF on both PCs. I will try turning off ZA as well for a brief spell.

steadman7 18:16 02 Feb 2010

Yes ZA was the problem - thanks for your input.
now I just need to sort out which one was the problem and then try to set it up correctly. Obviously I thought I had done before!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 02 Feb 2010

I had major problems networking with Zonealarm not allowing machines to talk to each other.
Eventually I gave up and Changed to Sygate Firewall.

Hope you have better luck :0)

howard64 19:11 02 Feb 2010

glad you fixed it like Fruit Bat /\0/\ I gave up on zone alarm and now use the free ashampoo firewall.

steadman7 20:43 02 Feb 2010

Thanks both for the advice. I changed the Trusted Zone entry for PC A (in PC B) and that has done the trick. I wonder whether PC A has renamed itself for some reason because I had a completely incorrect name in there. I have removed ZA from some of my friends PCs because they couldn't cope, but I have used it for many years and this is my first problem with it. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks again

Over and out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?