Network Access Failure

dublincity 02:02 09 Jul 2005

My recently-installed Home Network on 2 PC's (both on XP Pro) has been working properly for a week or so. Now, the 'client' PC, although connecting to the internet as it should do, won't allow anything to access the internet. I clicked on 'Tools' in the browser, then on 'Internet Options' and got a message that said, 'This is not available with the existing configuration. Consult the Administrator.'

However, I repeated the clicking and the 'Internet Options' box then appeared - but that made no difference to the failure to gain access to the internet.

As far as I know, I haven't altered any LAN, browser or firewall etc. settings.

Does anybody have an idea of what I need to look at?

Many Thanks.

Forum Editor 08:16 09 Jul 2005

- that is to say, is it a wireless network or wired, and if it's wireless, which router/modem combination are you using, and which wireless network card(s)?

dublincity 20:45 09 Jul 2005

Thanks. I'm new to networking and had a series of problems. I was given a lot of help with different threads on these sites.

I think I've got the connection & access working again by using System Restore and going back several days to when it was ok.

I've got 2 PC's, both on XP Pro, running at the same time using a KVM Switch and a USB-USB Data Transfer set-up. I connected up the ethernet cards in each PC with a crossover cable and after some problems used the wizard to instal a home network.

The PC was re-booting after System Restore when I had a Spybot warning that a change had been made to 'C\systems\windows 32 .........' (I missed the rest). Usually, there'd be an option to allow or cancel the change - but the PC then shut down.

I'm still curious about what caused the problem in the first place. Presumably, some settings (now restored) had been changed without me knowing.

dublincity 20:49 09 Jul 2005

The Ethernet Cards are:-

New PC: Motherboard Onboard - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Old PC: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC - 10/100 NIC PCI, 32-bit bandwidth, PCI Interface

mgmcc 16:29 10 Jul 2005

As you now have the PCs networked with a crossover cable between network adapters, why do you still have a USB data transfer cable installed? This means effectively they are networked twice and this could cause a problem.

Presumably, you have enabled Internet Connection Sharing in the "host" PC, its network adapter has been given the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 and the "client" PC is getting an IP address automatically from the "host" in the same 192.168.0.xxx range?

Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers by entering their IP addresses in its "trusted" area and, if using Zone Alarm in the "host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

dublincity 23:33 10 Jul 2005

mgmcc - Thanks for the useful comments. My main purpose was to learn about 'how things work' and about what could be done with minimum expense.

I haven't yet figured out how I can transfer data between the PC's other than by using the USB data transfer cable, so any advice would be welcome. Should I start a different thread?

Several people on this site (Helproom Forum) talked me through the set-up process. Paragraph 3 (above) - yes, I did that.

Paragraph 2 - I'm fairly certain that was done. The system was certainly working (in the sense that both PC's were connected to the internet at the same time) until the problem mentioned above. Presumably, some settings were changed and then changed back again by System Restore.

dublincity 23:40 10 Jul 2005

Using the USB data transfer cable is a fairly slow process.

For small items (less than 2MB), I can make transfers as e.mail attachments.

For large items (up to 10GB) it's easier for me to transfer them via the external drive.

I'm very interested in knowing how I would use the crossover cable for data transfer?

mgmcc 08:53 11 Jul 2005

If you are definitely *connecting to the internet* with the "client" PC, but unable to access web pages, try entering your ISP's DNS addresses in the TCP/IP settings of the "client". These may be available from your ISP's support page on their website or can be obtained from the "host" PC.

To get the DNS addresses from the "host" PC. open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and at the prompt type:

IPCONFIG /ALL

and press Enter. This will display information about all of the adapters in the PC, including the DNS addresses allocated by the ISP to your "host"
PC. Note the DNS addresses and then enter these as fixed DNS addresses in the "client" PC. DO NOT change the "client" PC's IP address settings.

<<<I'm very interested in knowing how I would use the crossover cable for data transfer?>>>

Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "Shared" in their Properties. I would suggest that you set at least one folder as shared in each PC to facilitate the process of getting the two PCs communicating. The "shared" folders should then appear as shared resources (together with shared printers) of the relevant PC in "My Network Places".

Files can then be transferred between folders in the different PCs in exactly the same way as between folders in one PC - Copy/Paste, Drag & Drop etc. A file stored in one PC can be opened in the other PC, if you have the aappropriate program installed to open it - for example, a Word file in PC1 can be opened directly by PC2 if Word is installed in PC2.

--------------------------------

NETWORK PRINTER SHARING

--------------------------------

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid. (Remove underscores in "http")

h_t_t_p_://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

dublincity 10:56 11 Jul 2005

mgmcc - very many thanks. That's very detailed and all new to me. I'll need to go through it a bit at a time.

I've copied from this site click here but it's all pretty complicated to me.

............. back in due course.

Thanks again.

dublincity 11:56 11 Jul 2005

............ I followed the directions re. looking for DNS addresses and found a lot of data inc. DNS Suffix & DNS Servers. I'll study it all later.

I copied a 2.5GB folder onto the host PC's desktop, successfully dragged it into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents, then ticked both 'Share this folder on the network' and 'Allow network users to change my files' in the Properties box. I guess this was correct?

However, it hasn't appeared in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents on the client PC. Does this signify a failure?

Cheers.

dublincity 14:22 11 Jul 2005

With both PC's connected to the internet at the same time (the client PC DOES now access it since I used System Restore) ............ on the host PC there are two sets of (double-TV-sets) icons in the taskbar whereas only one icon on the other PC's taskbar.

This note is given in Help & Support:- " .......... if you selected the Classic Start menu option, you'll see a My Network Places icon on your Windows XP desktop. Double-click that icon and you'll see a list of all the computers and folders on your network."

Both PC's are on 'Classic'. I can find Network Places on the host PC but it appears not to be there on the client PC.

In Network Places on the host PC are 3 'SharedDocs' plus the folder just added (see above) - there is no mention of the other PC on the network so I guess something's not right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone