network access denied

Lomond 21:34 09 Jan 2007

Im trying to share printer over wireless router- internet is ok now trying to share PRINTER
When I go into MY NETWORK PLACES then select VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS on my wireless laptop I get the following message:
MSHOME is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.

can anyone tell me what server is being reffered to?
Thks

fitshase 22:45 09 Jan 2007

Have you enabled printer and file sharing on the computer you are trying to access?

You need to run this to make the printers shareable and the computer ready for access on the network.

Run the Network Setup Wizard in Control Panel (I am assuming you are using Windows XP).

Lomond 07:17 10 Jan 2007

yes Fitshare I have - thats why I am so puzzled - can anything else prevent access?

fitshase 21:31 10 Jan 2007

Are you running a firewall (Norton, McAfee, etc - even the built in Windows firewall)? If so, try disabling this first to see if you can get through.

prb 22:41 10 Jan 2007

sounds like a similar problem that I had last week. Turns out that my firewall Zonealarm was blocking access.

Lomond 22:52 10 Jan 2007

Thanks PRB still trying to find the block - almost seem to have an invisible firewall

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?