Network ?

alfredgerald 16:12 23 Mar 2007

I receive my broadband via a BT line. My daughter has a laptop. I want her to be able to use my ISP when she is at home. Is this posible without adjusting her ISP settings?

The Brigadier 16:21 23 Mar 2007

Go wireless, you should be able to get a wireless modem router from BT. Then your Daughter would then be able to use the same connection.

alfredgerald 14:33 24 Mar 2007

Any other thoughts?

Dipso 15:30 24 Mar 2007

Could do with more information really.

Do you use a router or a modem to connect to your ISP?

Will you both want to connect at the same time?

However you choose to do it, it won't be possible for your daughter to connect to your ISP using her ISP's settings.

alfredgerald 11:47 26 Mar 2007

She wants to use my ISP when she is at home. i.e. Use my connection to the web without affecting her ISP settings at university. I do not realy want to set up a wireless network. Can she join to my desk top via a cable and log on that way?

TonyM 12:08 26 Mar 2007

You can do this:

You will need to connect her laptop to your desktop via a Network crossover cable and then set your desktop machine to allow "Internet Connection Sharing". Once conencted run the Network Connection wizard ont he desktop machine and follow the instructions.

Your machine will obviously have to be switched on and connected to allow the laptiop to access the net.

alfredgerald 12:41 28 Mar 2007

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?