Network for 10 PCs

dfb70uk 17:31 19 Jan 2007

I need advice on setting up a network for 10 PCs.
This is for a Youth Club.The PCs will be fairly high spec and will have Vista on them. All need to communicate with each other, the printer and the internet. Should we use 1 PC as the server( can't run to a dedicated server)? 8 PCs will be in 1 room and could be ethernet connected the other 2 are remote and wireless connection is the obvious solution but would it be better to have all 10 wireless?
Thats all I can think of right now.
Any help appreciated.
Regards
David

Strawballs 23:05 19 Jan 2007

My linksys router will allow 4 connected by wire and 127 wireless.

What ISP?

howard64 19:57 20 Jan 2007

you need a modem/router to connect to your isp and if there is to be a lot of traffic between the pcs a switch would be a good idea as signals from 1 pc to another would just go between them leaving the others free to connect etc. If they are close together and you go for the switch a wired network would work well.

Scottiedogg 13:37 21 Jan 2007

Personally I would have the 8 wired. As for the other two, that really depends on you. I would suggest (as Howard did) A switch combined with a wireless router. You can get a 16 port 'Smart' switch (no network administration needed) and a wireless router for as little as £90.00 for both. This would allow for future addition of extra wired PC's and the flexibility of wireless.

dfb70uk 22:54 21 Jan 2007

Thanks everybody.
How would I connect all this up, use a Modem wireless/ethernet router, then come out of this to the switch for the 8 plus the printer and use the wireless connection for trhe remote 2?
The main traffic is likely to be between one of the remote pcs to any of the 8 but less between each of the 8.
The other remote would just be internet.

Strawballs 23:33 21 Jan 2007

click here This is a selection of switches but untill you say if it is a cable or ADSL connection can't advise on wireless routers.

dfb70uk 20:05 22 Jan 2007

Thanks Strawballs
I have sorted out my requirements, the powers that be have yet to decide on cable or phone line but I now have a choise of wireless routers to cover both situations.
Thanks everybody for your help and advice.
Regards
David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?