Network, 1 computer sees other, but not other cant

GuZ><0r 23:36 26 Mar 2006

I have just set up a broadband network using a router. they are both wired to it. The main computer connected to the router can see the other and share document and printer. But the other can't gain access to the main computer. Both are runnign XP pro sp2.

Please help.

Thanks

terryf 23:39 26 Mar 2006

Have you been to the second computer and right clicked on folders and set up sharing by going to Sharing and Security in the menu?

mgmcc 08:32 27 Mar 2006

Also, in the PC which is inaccessible, has any firewall software been configured correctly to allow access to the 'client' PC?

GuZ><0r 13:47 27 Mar 2006

All the files that are wanted for sharing ,have been enabled. Also, we have disabled teh firewalls on both computers, yet this has not worked. are there any other reasons for the computer not being able to access the others shared files.

Thanks

terryf 13:51 27 Mar 2006

I think that I would try going through the network wizard again, creating the floppy and enable sharing again to see if that fixes it

GuZ><0r 13:54 27 Mar 2006

I will try that tonight and get back to you soon.

Thanks.

ACOLYTE 13:55 27 Mar 2006

Sometimes disabling a firewall still doesn't work as the program is still running in the background especially 3rd party ones,to fully test it you would need to un-install any 3rd party firewalls you have installed,and then disable the windows firewalls.If it works then you know it was a firewall setting,if not you know its a windows setting.

terryf 14:07 27 Mar 2006

If you are disabling firewalls, can I suggest that you disconnect the router from the telephone socket, does your router have a firewall in it, my DG834 does and I have disabled the windows firewalls in a similar setup to yours

GuZ><0r 14:15 27 Mar 2006

the router I have is an Addon GWAR 3000. And it does have a firewall in it. Because of this, is it even worth having one installed on my computer?

terryf 14:19 27 Mar 2006

All I can say is that I have disabled both windows firewalls, do not have software firewalls, router firewall is set up to allow azureus through and so far have had no probs, i do have AVG, spyware doctor, spy sweeper running and use a-squared, spybot and bazooka from time to time

terryf 14:20 27 Mar 2006

That is win firewalls on both PC's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?