Netscape or internet explorer

njhux 19:24 31 Oct 2003

I'm just interested in peoples' thoughts about Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator.

Is one better than the other, do people have preferences and why?

My university's computers use Navigator, but my home PC has IE...just wondering if it's worth me getting my home PC on Navigator too.

Any opinions or advice?

njhux 19:33 31 Oct 2003

Also can you have a system running both browsers, or do they cause trouble by each trying to make itself the default?

Proxy Worm 19:49 31 Oct 2003

I use IE - love it also have a look at Opera.
click here

Sgt. Pepper 19:53 31 Oct 2003

I have used both and both are really good but if I had to choose I would choose Internet Explorer.

Sgt. Pepper 19:57 31 Oct 2003

I think it would be possible to have two browsers on your system because you would have two seperate icons for net access so it would be down to you what browser you choose to run.

I would get a second opinion to be sure......

timber 20:00 31 Oct 2003

njhux

am using IE6 and have Opera available if required doesnt seem to be any conflicts

timber

GroupFC 20:08 31 Oct 2003

It is possible to have two browsers. I have both IE6 and Opera6 on my system (although there is a newer version of Opera I haven't bothered with this - I am of the school of thought that if you are happy with what you've got why change it!).

They both co-exist quite happily with each other and although I prefer Opera (it seems to be faster than IE), some websites don't seem to so I then switch to IE.

SANAP 20:14 31 Oct 2003

I have just discovered OPERA and it looks good t the moment and worh a look.

sanap

woodchip 20:48 31 Oct 2003

I use Netscape as you have more control over cookie Security and pop-ups. Got IE6 on comp only because I have software that likes to see it there, and gets upset if it cannot see it when loading programs. Netscape for me as less bugs, I was forever having to repair IE

flecc 21:46 31 Oct 2003

You can have all three without trouble, IE, Netscape and Opera.

I use Opera from preference on non-mail systems, but as I don't like it's mail program and prefer not to have a separate mail client, I use Netscape on combined internet browser and email systems.

I don't use IE since it's control over cookies and the like is poor, it takes too much from the user's control, and it's reliability is not as good as either of the main alternatives.

flecc 21:48 31 Oct 2003

You can remove IE from Windows 9x and ME with 98Lite, or from XP with XPLite, both from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?