Netscape browser!

pac73 05:39 29 Apr 2006

Ive just downloaded netscape browser,can anyone tell me is this as safe as firefox?I like the look of it,and i find its as fast as firefox at browsing the net.

€dstowe 06:18 29 Apr 2006

Netscape was one of THE original browsers - long before Opera, Firefox and all those other "new" ones.

It WAS very good and many considered it better than IE but then it seemed to lose its way and while IE ran ahead with all sorts of new innovations, Netscape sat there bathing in past glories. There have been several attempts to reinvigorate it and perhaps now is the time for its renaissance.

We use it for browser checking in web development but not as a general purpose browser.

Regarding safety, it probably is safe at the moment as the malware writers are very egotistical and aren't going to concern themselves with little-used software to show off their supposed talents.

pac73 16:22 29 Apr 2006

So youd say stick with firefox.

ACOLYTE 16:33 29 Apr 2006

I would say stick with what you feel comfortable with,there is a choice now there didn't used to be,so find one you like and if you happy then thats all that counts.I myself like IE i know it has it's drawback's and some would say it not as good as the others around but it has served me ok for 20 odd year's so i see no need to change just because something new has entered the scene,after all newer doesn't always mean better.

pac73 16:38 29 Apr 2006

Cheers acolyte,i reall like this new netscape browser,it seems as quick if not quicker than ff in my opinion.

J B 20:41 29 Apr 2006

Netscape sounds interesting, but, I am wondering about it's real time anti-spyware function, do you have to use it or can you disable it, I understand it comes from Macfee. Also will it import bookmarks from Firefox? If it does I might give it a try, let me know. J.B.

woodchip 21:21 29 Apr 2006

I Use Netscape 7.2 not 8.1

Firefox and Thunderbird is the offshoot of Netscape given to the open community, In other Word it's Developed from Netscaps code By Linux Developers.

Netscape 8.1 is the hand me back from this free Developement

pac73 21:35 29 Apr 2006

JB,you can import your bookmarks from firefox,im not sure if you can disable real time protection though.Why do you want to disable it?

J B 10:31 30 Apr 2006

It is my understanding that you should only run one real time anti-spyware application otherwise there could be conflicts. At present I am running Windows Defender which as you know is realtime, the others are Adaware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and CWS which are scanners. That is the only reason I asked if the one in Netscape could be disabled. By the way good morning to you. J.B.

pac73 12:58 30 Apr 2006

Hi jb,you can disable the real time protection.Id say to you check it out,you can always uninstall it if your not happy with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?