NetObjects or Serif?

micklemouse 16:03 25 Apr 2006

I need some opinions on these two items of software as I want to use either one for my web designing. The reason being, I'm doing a course which is teaching me web design using Dreamweaver. This is financially out of my range. I have a free NetObjects 7 CD which can be updated to 8, and I know that Serif software also can be got free if it's an out of date version. So if you have tried these and can offer me YOUR opinions, I'd be really glad.

chub_tor 16:56 25 Apr 2006

I am a devoted fan of Serif and have used their DTP programmes from PagePlus 1 days
I have tinkered with WebPlus but don't really have a need to apply it seriously however all Serif software is easy to use and their support is first class. Either download the Serif free programme or find it on a magazine disc and try it - you have nothing to lose.
Free Serif site click here

Snec 17:02 25 Apr 2006

In all truth you can only sort this out for yourself by trying them -- after all, they can be got for nothing.

But, for what this is worth, I have used many free web designing programs including Serif but since NOF7 came free on a PCA mag I've used nothing else. I've converted my own 3 sites to it and also now have done a couple for small businesses.

It is so good (for me) that I would have paid for to upgrade by now had it not been for someone on the Webdesign forum who did upgrade and thought the upgrade a waste of money.

A "which is best" question will be no use to you really (they never are) because what is best for one may be the worst one for another. You have to try for yourself, there's no shortcut, spend some time with the different programs. There is no lazy, easy way out if you seriously want to know.

micklemouse 18:03 25 Apr 2006

Thanks both of you for your contributions and as I hoped, you have made positive reviews of each product. I will take your advice and try each of them. But just one question while I'm here, and that is: do they offer split screen formatting?

chub_tor 10:31 26 Apr 2006

Split screen formatting - no idea but I can email the pdf booklet of Webplus 8 if that helps. It's about 600K.

conrail 11:00 26 Apr 2006

I have used serif's web +9, comes with program CD, resource CD and learn CD,found it easy and soon created my 1st web site, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone