netgear WPN802 Access point problem

silliw 20:51 12 Nov 2005

I have a wireless network which gains acces to the internet via a netgear DG834GT modem/router. I have had no problems until I moved my laptop into the study which is right at the back of my house. The signal became very weak sometimes losing the signal completely. I have bought a netgear WPN802 Access point to improve the signal.
I have setup the IP for the router and given it a the gateway address of the router. I have also replicated the wep encryption and all appears to be well other than I cannot get access to the internet even though it reports a good to very good signal. If I turn the access point off the signal drops to very poor (from the router). I assume the good signal is between the laptop and the the access point and also assume that the router is not recognising the access point and therefore is not allowing traffic through.

Any suggestions would be very welcome as there are so few settings on the access point to get wrong.

mgmcc 14:44 13 Nov 2005

What have you connected the "Wireless Access Point" to?

A Wireless Access Point is, as its name suggests, a point of access for Wireless devices into a wired network. If you are trying to use it to get a better connection to the router, it would have to be plugged into one of the router's LAN ports and a cable run towards the back of the house so that the laptop can connect to the new W.A.P. instead of the one built into the router. What you cannot do is to plug it into the laptop's ethernet port and use it in place of a Wireless Network Adapter, because two Wireless Access Points are not going to talk to one another.

LastChip 15:54 13 Nov 2005

Either use a high gain aerial - if possible. A directional aerial may provide the required coverage. Or use something like the D-Link DWL-2100AP, which can be used in "repeater" mode.

silliw 16:13 13 Nov 2005

Thanks

I thought that this Access point did also act as a repeater which is why I bought it, will have to take another look at the spec to see what I have bought.

silliw 19:28 14 Nov 2005

bump

silliw 16:52 03 Dec 2005

This unit needed a firmware upgarde and then the repeater function appeared as a menu item. Unforti=-unately I still have not managed to set this up correctly to widen the range of the xisting wireless network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017