I have a WN111 Netgear adaptor(USB) running on my Xp laptop which runs at anything between 120 -300 mbps connecting with a WNR200 N class router , i am very happy with the speed .I have now added another laptop to the wireless and so i thought to bring me up to speed i would add another wn111 v2 adaptor to bring that laptop up to 300mbps networking as well .Whatever i do i cannot get the 2nd adaptor to run past 54Mbps (the 300mbps option is checked when i look) the only difference between the two laptops is the 2nd one is running Windows 7 and the first(where it is running at 300mbps) is XP .Could anybody enlighten me please why this is happening, Thanks Peter
I have since had a crisis of my abilities and reloaded drivers and also swopped adaptors about to see if i had been sent a G rated adaptor , but the swopped adaptor worked fine on my XP machine and then went back to 54mbps on the windows 7 machine .One thing to note is am running the 64 bit version of windows 7 but i checked on the netgear website and it says for 32 and 64 bit ,
I have an Edimax 802.11n (150Mbps) adapter which connects at 150Mbps in Windows XP, but only at 54Mbps in Windows 7 64-bit. This isn't a problem for me because I have another adapter to use with Windows 7 that does connect at 300Mbps.
It does, however, indicate that there may be a problem with some adapters only connecting with 802.11g (54Mbps) protocol when used in Windows 7.
My adapter that does work at 300Mbps in Win 7 is a "D-Link DWA-140 RangeBooster" click here in conjunction with a D-Link Router.
I have now solved the problem .Please note all other users that you might have to upgrade to WPA2 encryption as even on WPA the adaptor would only tun at 54mbps , as soon as changed to WPA2 it went straight to 300mbps ,starnge but thats how it is , thanks for all help