netgear wireless router to USB modem

gazst 01:15 11 Jul 2007

hello,
Came across the site and did a search in the forum but couldn't find exactly the answer so...
I have just bought a Netgear WGT624 wireless router to use with my BT bb, for which I have a USB modem, a an Alcatel Speedtouch USB. after looking I now realise that my router may not work with the USB modem(?) but is there an alternative apart from changing the router / getting another modem?
Is there a cable that has Ethernet to telephone plug?
I wonder if there is maybe that would work, but at the moment the only thing that goes into the back of the computer is the USB plug on the modem. The telephone wire goes into a socket half way down the modem cable. Naturally I haven't had any luck getting the router to work.
thanks
Gary

irishrapter 01:43 11 Jul 2007

I assume you have ADSL and not cable?

The Netgear WGT624 has not got an ADSL modem built into it so you will need to get either a router with a built in ASDL modem or you could just get an Ethernet modem to plug into the Netgear WGT624.

I would suggest you get a router with built in modem, its the easiest option!

ambra4 03:53 11 Jul 2007

If you do not have a LAN port on the PC that the Ethernet cable will fit you need to buy a LAN card and install it in the PC

A USB broadband modem, is for a SINGLE PC INTERNET ACCESS ONLY and will not allow you to set up a network system to other PC in the house

ambra4 03:59 11 Jul 2007

Yes you will have to buy a broadband modem with a Ethernet port which is then connected to the WAN port on the router

The PC is connected from Port 1 on the router to the LAN port on the PC via a second Ethernet cable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?