Netgear Wireless Card.

birdface 14:07 10 Jul 2009

2 year old HP laptop with Wireless connection but not working.

Just been in my local Argos bargain store and they are selling Netgear Wireless Cards for just less than £7.

Just wondered how easy they are to fit,And would it just be a matter of replacing the one that is in the laptop assuming that there is one in it.

She has a Netgear Wireless router at home so they should match.
It does say for Laptops on the Box.

Taff™ 15:20 10 Jul 2009

The wireless car in the laptop is a small component, usually underneath one of the covers on the underside of the laptop. The wireless cards you refer to are probably PCMCIA cards which fit into a slot on the side of the laptop. Be careful though there are two different types.

Taff™ 15:29 10 Jul 2009

More recent laptops use the Express Card click here older one`s the PCMCIA card click here Post the model of your laptop and I`ll take a look.

birdface 15:31 10 Jul 2009

Ok.That was enough to put me off.Just thought a bit of a bargain.But no use If I make a mess of it.
And not sure if it would be the proper one.

Taff™ 15:35 10 Jul 2009

You just need to find out which card slot type is on your laptop and then check if the one on sale is compatible. It is a bargain. Tell me the model number and I`ll tell you which type!

birdface 16:10 10 Jul 2009

Taff it was in the box so never got a good look at it.Looked like about the size of a credit card.Maybe a bit bigger.I do not have the laptop with me but will try and find the model number for you as soon as i can.

birdface 16:21 10 Jul 2009

Hi.Got this from a previous thread that I had.

laptop.
Product hp g6000
S/N CNF444V9K
P/N G2976EA#ABU
G6031EA

Will this give you the information that you need.

I don't see the point in adding my other thread as I did not manage to resolve it.
Basically I know nothing about Laptops and even less about Vista.

birdface 16:33 10 Jul 2009

Hi Just had a look at my other thread and I think the wireless was something to do with Broadcom.Whether it is a wireless card or what I don't know but that is what was missing in device Manager.

Other thread.

click here Just in case.

Taff™ 17:46 10 Jul 2009

It`s an Express Card slot on the right hand side at the front. click here& and download the PDF called External Media Cards. There`s a good illustration.

Next to the slot, which has a removable plastic blank insert, is probably a square button. If you depress it slightly it will pop out. Push it firmly and it will pop out the blank. You can then see the exact dimensions before you rush back to Argos.

I missed your other thread and concerned that it wasn`t resolved. I`ve got a G5000 series and have set up several of the G6000 series laptops. One problem I`ve found is that when the wireless doesn`t come on at boot up switching the switch at the front off then on again seems to work. I`ve also found that a Windows update disables the wireless card. I`ll see if I can find an original driver from the HP website for you.

birdface 17:59 10 Jul 2009

Many thanks Taff.I will need to download something to open that PDF file that you gave me.Anything that you can recommend that will not use up to much space.

Taff™ 07:20 11 Jul 2009

click here PDF Xchange Viewer - lightweight and offers much more than Adobe Reader.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?