Netgear wgt624 Setup

Lio 19:39 13 Jan 2008

Please could someone help

I am attempting to set up a wireless network using a Netgear WGT624 router. The section that I am struggling with is during setup it asks for the IP address, IP subnet mask, gateway IP address, the primary and secondary DNS IP addresses. My ISP is virgin media and my network connection is set to obtain the IP info automatically. Now i can obtain the IP address and subnet mask address whilst connected without the router, however I have so far not been able to obtain the other info. The instructions give some info for the router, but I am now getting a little confused as to which I should be using.

I would have thought that being set up to acquire the info automatically would have meant that I would not have to input it manually. I am probably missing something really simple.

I probably need some sort of idiot's guide!

I am using Windows XP SP2 with a cable modem and a realtek network card

Hope someone could please help

Ashrich 22:54 13 Jan 2008

If you are running a disk to set this up you can discard it for now and do it manually , it's really easy . Open a browser and in the top address bar type in 192.168.0.1 and press enter , then you will be in the set up pages , as no user or password is set you just enter " admin " in the user name , and " password " in the password box ( without the quote marks ) then go to the first page where it will have the boxes asking the same questions , only this time all you have to do is to dot the circles with " Get dynamically from ISP " and " Get automatically from ISP " Dot the box also for " Internet Login ( no )

Then go to the router Wireless set up and sort out your wireless security .

There may be a wizard to find you Internet Connection in the set up pages , if there is and you use it , you may not have to go through the first lines I have written here as it will do the IP stuff for you .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:58 13 Jan 2008

Forgot to say , power down the cable modem if it has been used on your PC before you bought the WGT624 , as it will have bound itself to the PC's MAC address , and until it has been powered down for about 10 minutes for it to " forget " the MAC binding it won't work with anything else . The restarting sequence is ...re-power up the modem , wait for it to settle , then power the router , wait for a minute , then the PC , making sure all ethernet connections are in place before you start , then access as above .

Ashley

Lio 11:57 14 Jan 2008

Ashrich

Thanks for the reply, I will try as you suggested.

Lio 19:38 17 Jan 2008

Ashley

Thanks for the help, problem reolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone